Got my Morgan Carbtune

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got my Morgan Carbtune

Finally!! Took eleven days, but I got it... Spent the next several hours playing with it.. After having to let the bike wait for several weeks I finally got to tweak on it some!

Carbs are now synced better than I thought I could get. All four are so close to perfect!! less than 1/8 apart on the carbtune scale, (They recommend they be within 2 apart on the scale) I am pleased.

Next I have to adjust the air mixture screws and dial it in from there.

I am excited I will actually get to ride the bike (if we get a clear day anytime soon) So I can see how it goes at 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and WOT....

(She's been sitting since I cleaned the carbs and installed the Stage III kit.)

What really suprised me was just how far OFF the sync was when I started. I did a very careful bench sync.... #2 did not even register, #3 was way higher than all of them, #1 & 4 were about half of #3... Man that #2 adjuster is hard to get at!!

I had to turn the idle adjust in several times during the sync to keep things going.

Did you use the "special screwdriver/nutdriver" tool for adjusting the sync? I've found, of all the specialized tools I've bought for tinkering on these old bikes, that one is nearly invaluable. Trying to sync in a timely manor (without worry of roasting your engines head) with a 9mm open end and a screwdriver was infuriating, yes, especially #2!! lol.

What jets did you end up going with from the stage three, and what clip position?

For future reference, if you didn't do it this time around, running a box fan or two in front of the motor is a good idea untill you get the hang of it (with the vacuum carbs, I still have trouble being quick) and using a paperclip as a gauge to do a bench sync after a rebuild is handy. It will get you pretty darn close without the gauges, and you can dial it in from there.

Personally I find the VM mechanical carbs sooooo much easier to tune. There's no having to re-adjust after moving from one to another. Adjust one and it's done. It won't change any when you mess with another.

Comment

Yes, I did get the carb tool. And I bench synced with a 10 guage piercing taper. Still was shocked at how far out they were.. I also used a high power blower fan to keep her cool enough to get the job done.

The satge III is still set at clip position 3 as instructed, since I have not had a chance to do any road tests to see if I need to change the setting.

Only thing I need to do before road testing is to tune the air mixture screws.

One thing I do know, is that I will be getting a better set of adaptors for the carbtune. Those little plastic nipples just SUCK, especially on #2

As she sits right now, Idle is pretty darn good. With a little tuning it will only get better. I was suprised that doing a carb sync changed the sound of the Kerker pipes to a much more mellow throat sound.

Comment

Z1Enterprises usually has brass adaptor nipples in stock, in varying lengths as well to make getting at the inner ones easier. That's what I have. I use a piece of rubber vacuum line as a "wrench" to install and remove them when the engine is hot. Pay attention if/when you order as they usually carry to different diameter ones. 6mm and 5mm. I think Kaw used one and zook uses thea other size. But I can't remember which size is which.

If your bike ends up anything like mine have with the je kits, I found that the directions suggestion for the clip position was a little lean, and the bike would surge a bit on the needle. But give it a try first. Sounds like you're almost there! Good luck

Comment

Sadly, "almost there" as the season for riding has come to an end. I'm kinda pussy about riding in the rain. Cold is no issue, but rain is right out of the question for me. Just as I get her road worthy, I get to put her to bed for weeks at a time. I'll still ride any chance I get when it's not rainin... (or worse)

Next summer she'll be my main transportation.

Comment

Yeah, there's something about high winds, rain, leaves all over the road pounded to greasy mush and darkness to make you leave the bike in the garage

That's what I see right now looking out the window.

My bike's are staying in the garage for a while

Congratulations on your Carbtune
            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
            2007 DRz 400S
            1999 ATK 490ES
            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I've gotten in the habit recently of removing the little choke cable stop for access to the adjustment screws. Its easier than fighting it, on a G at least.
              sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                Z1Enterprises usually has brass adaptor nipples in stock, in varying lengths as well to make getting at the inner ones easier. ... Pay attention if/when you order as they usually carry to different diameter ones. 6mm and 5mm. I think Kaw used one and zook uses thea other size. But I can't remember which size is which.
                Kaw is 6mm, all the others are 5mm.
                sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                  Yeah, there's something about high winds, rain, leaves all over the road pounded to greasy mush and darkness to make you leave the bike in the garage

That's what I see right now looking out the window.

My bike's are staying in the garage for a while

Congratulations on your Carbtune
                  Darkness is a big factor for me. I'm pretty much blind at night. Stef has to do all of the driving after dark even in our other vehicles. Getting old sucks.

We are in the middle of a big wind/rain storm right now, so no road testing today. I'll try to work on the air mix, and get her back together. .. Perhaps we'll get a dry minute our two in the next few ...

Comment

Working...
                  X