Are Heat Shields Necessary?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are Heat Shields Necessary?

As I wrote in my projects thread, the left hand pipe heat shield rear mounting brackets are busted to the point I think that's where my rattle has been coming from. The right hand pipe doesn't have a heat shield on it but has the screws still in place.

The weather is going to be pretty nice tomorrow so I intend to take advantage of it and repaint my pipes. However, should I replace both shields? Is it easy to find new ones?
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

How about these Cowboy?

A bit pricey but they are NOS.
    http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/u...00080021-1.jpg
    1978 GS1000C
    1979 GS1000E
    1980 GS1000E
    2004 Roadstar

Comment

Also I'd double check spacing of mounting holes if you decide to buy.
      http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/u...00080021-1.jpg
      1978 GS1000C
      1979 GS1000E
      1980 GS1000E
      2004 Roadstar

Comment

Yea, those mounts look wrong. But it gives me a thought now. Thanks Rover, will start looking.

1981 GS550T - My First

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die

Comment

It's not all that necessary. They are really more of a dress-up item, rather than a functional heat shield.

Mrs. Steve's bike has been missing one since we got it about 7 years ago.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            It's not all that necessary. They are really more of a dress-up item, rather than a functional heat shield.

Mrs. Steve's bike has been missing one since we got it about 7 years ago.

I would highly recommend replacing it before leaving and re-entering the Earth's atmosphere however.
            "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Originally posted by Allie View Post
              I would highly recommend replacing it before leaving and re-entering the Earth's atmosphere however.
              How about if we just make sure the other one is facing forward as we re-enter?

sigpic
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                How about if we just make sure the other one is facing forward as we re-enter?

I bet you'll see some uneven bluing on the headers if you do that...

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Originally posted by Allie View Post
                  I bet you'll see some uneven bluing on the headers if you do that...
                  Too late.

You can see the bluing on #2 in this picture.

sigpic
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride

Comment

I see you've already been out - is that meteor scarring on her fork tube?

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

They just cover up an ugly weld and an unchromed area on my bike.
                      sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Thank you all. I removed it today and painted the pipes. They seem to have come out okay but I definitely will never win BOM with my quality of work. I'll look for some more later if it proves that I need them.

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                          Thank you all. I removed it today and painted the pipes. They seem to have come out okay but I definitely will never win BOM with my quality of work. I'll look for some more later if it proves that I need them.
                          Yikes, little late now, but was gonna tell you from my personal experience, using the VHT primer before painting those pipes will go a long way in keeping it on there. Also following the curing proceedures on the can is important (although obviously you don't want your bike idling for 20 minutes at a time, break it up into a few cycles of 5 minutes or so, letting them cool between cycles) If you've got an understanding/forgiving wife/GF, and can fit them in the oven, I'd bake the center pipes. Obviously the outer two won't fit in the oven.

Having said all of this, to keep them looking good, plan on having to re-shoot those at least once a season.
                          If, at some point, you have the funds, I'd look into getting them coated from JetHot or something like that. Not only would they look super sharp, but they'll stay that way for a very very long time....

Otherwise, there's always header wrap.

Comment

Thanks Josh. Yea I intend to run the heat cycles like the can says (was wondering if I could break it up so thank you on that) after I get them back on the bike. I'm going to try and do some maintenance tomorrow but it will still be a little while before I can get it running as I think I may have to order new shims.

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Working...
                            X