Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dipping Carbs - Throttle Plate removal?

Hello,

I posted a message in an old forum but thought I should probably start a new thread instead.

Anyway, I pulled the carbs off the 82 GS550M i recently purchased as part of the rebuild and was following the rebuild guide from BikeCliffs website. That guide does not say to remove the throttle plate shaft. But, I was pretty certain that the shaft is sealed with o-rings based on other carbs I've worked on. Anyway, I went ahead and removed the throttle plate and shaft on the #3 carb and sure enough, there is a unique o-ring on each side of the shaft, just under each actuation arm. I don't know about you guys, but putting anything rubber in that dip destroys it. And of that o-ring is not sealing, I got to believe that air is leaking past the shaft and leaning the mixture. I have attached a pic of the o-ring.

What has been you experience? Do you dip with these in place or do you remove them? Are replacements available?

Here's the shaft with one of the o-rings. There's one an each end.

And here's the o-ring. It's not a true o-ring in that it has a groove in the center. This side faces out.

Thanks,
    Sci85
    1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
    1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
    2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Take a look at:
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

I have dipped and rebuilt MULTIPLE racks of carbs and have not removed throttle plates, ever.

Not saying it's not a good idea, but I have not had any problems.

Because the screws that hold the throttle plates are swadged into place, I would be more worried about making sure they stay in place than anything else. If that screw falls out, there's only one place it can go.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Agreed Steve but that's what locktite red is for. I can't believe that those o-rings have survived being dipped in Berryman's. There's just no way. The question is, will air make it through the shaft and into the bore with a bad o-ring. And I'm also wondering how many mysterious carbs issues are the result...
        1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja

Comment

Most here report fine results with leaving those seals in place. Maybe the lack of noticeable damage is related to the more eco friendly carb dip these days? Regardless, I don't think there is any problem with removing the throttle plates, but I'd get new screws and use that red loctite as already alluded.

Good luck
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Sci85 View Post
            And I'm also wondering how many mysterious carbs issues are the result...
            Well, if there are some mysterious carb issues, they haven't reared their ugly heads in my garage (yet).

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks for the link hampshirehog. Looks like this was discussed a bit already. I gotta get better using good search terms

Anyway, that guys was leaking so it's certainly possible.

Maybe because there's enough richness to cover up any minimal leaking around these seals. these BS32's have a fairly tight fit in the carb body so maybe it's not enough to have a noticeable impact.

I wonder if there's a way to test for leakage after a good dipping, especially on really older carbs. I don't have access to any kind of vacuum machine but maybe some kind of rubber safe liquid would be sufficient? Anyone got any good ideas?

Sci85
              1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja

Comment

I have re-kitted, overhauled, and actually rebuild hundreds of carbs. over my career in the trades and advise you strongly to avoid removing choke plates or throttle plates.

The screws are staked in almost 100% of the cases which requires grinding away of the staked portion of the screw or you are likely to spread the holes such that new screws will not hold properly. An additional problem is to realign the plates and shafts so that they do not bind but this can be more difficult than one may expect.

The only reason for which we removed throttle or choke plates was if the carb. needed to be re-bushed because of throttle shaft or shaft bearing surface wear.

The most popular means of identifying air leakage around the throttle shafts (other than the obvious check for excessive side movement) is to spray a combustible aerosol around the exterior of the shaft bearings while engine is idling to check for engine reaction.

Comment

I've rebuilt more than a dozen and less than 20 racks of carbs over the last four or five years and never once removed the throttle plates. Never had any problems either. I have however seen evidence on carbs where that Oring has apparently leaked fuel vapor (and by that point in the system it would be vapor/atomized pretty well) and discoloured the cap. Those bikes ran just fine however, so I don't suspect that, even with bad Orings, they're sucking much air around that seal. If so, maybe they'd be set a little richer than perhaps they originally would have been from the factory, but personally I simply wouldn't fret about it that much. Obviously now that you're to that point you'll want to take care of it, but for the next set ya do, or even the next carb, I'd leave it be. The possibility of greater damage occurring should your red thread lock fail and the plate come loose outweighs any ill running characteristics of not stripping those apart to that point. Just my .02

Comment

I will say this for ya though, compared to most new members who want to half ass everything and think some spray shots of choke clearner constitute "cleaning the carbs" you definitely deserve the "Overcheiver of the Month" award

Comment

On some of the Keihins you have to pull the throttle plates if you want to split the carbs. It slows the whole job down as those dinky screws are fiddly but it's not a biggy.
                      79 GS1000S
                      79 GS1000S (another one)
                      80 GSX750
                      80 GS550
                      80 CB650 cafe racer
                      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Sci85...its an urban myth that berrymans will liquify the orings...it wont. We say take the orings out and replace them when rebuilding so the oring grooves will get cleaned and to be sure the rings are supple and reseal properly.
                        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Well if you guys say it's not a problem, then that's good enough for me then. Thanks for all the input on this. Now, off to the garage!

Sci85
                          1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja

Comment

Working...
                          X