Starter circuit-richen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter circuit-richen

How do I richen my starter circuit? Smaller pilot?

(GS550 with CV carbs, uni-foam pods, dyna Stage3 jet kit-

Engage the choke? That's all you should need.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Make sure the circuits are clean, then engage your "choke" mechanism.

Like Nessism said: "That's all you should need."

Most of us don't engage over half-way, what do you have different on your bike that requires more?

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

The uni-foam filters and give me a very lean start up-also I'm not 100% sure on the pilot size that is in the carbs...I've never pulled them...
        I can only get the bike to start using starting fluid when cold. Once its running awhile it'll start on its own...but if it sits very long at all to cool-it'll give me start up issues again-
        Also-I've noticed when I've gotten the bike running-I've had the best luck with the mix screw 4 turns out-
        I think I'll attempt another cleaning on the pilot while I'm waiting to check responses-I do think I'll have trouble pulling the current pilots-
        thanks all-

Comment

The choke circuit is what you need to focus on, not the pilots. Check the carb rebuild tutorial as linked in my signature and make sure the choke pick up tubes are clear, as well as the passage in the float bowls. If you have not done a proper carb cleaning that may explain the problem.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

The choke system is all good. Good rubber and all passages clear-

Comment

Originally posted by kwest187 View Post
              The choke system is all good. Good rubber and all passages clear-
              how do you know? You said you never pulled them, and you'd have to do that to install a DJ kit.

If you didnt clean them yourself, assume theyre not clean. We're talking holes smaller than the size of the point of a pin. Its not hard. Clean em. Figure out what you actually have in there. Otherwise you're just shooting in the dark. We have no idea what size to tell you to get if you dont know what size you have, if you even need a larger size.

Comment

I can only get the bike to start using starting fluid when cold. Once its running awhile it'll start on its own...but if it sits very long at all to cool-it'll give me start up issues again-
                There is a very good chance that your problem is NOT in the "choke" circuit.

When is the last time the valves were adjusted?

Those are classic symptoms of tight intake valves.

And PLEASE ... get rid of the starting fluid.

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Steve I think you emailed me a valve adj. guide email...let me check my inbox-
                  If I can't find it, can I email you for another copy?

revised...found the email you sent me...printing out and will go over these specs and settings thanks much...hope I didn't gum it up to much using the starting fluid...I cringed a little time each time I used it...
                  Last edited by Guest; 11-29-2011, 07:56 PM.

Comment

Yep, sent it to you on 04 OCT 2011.
                    If you can't find it, I'll send another.

sigpic
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride

Comment

...hope I didn't gum it up to much using the starting fluid...I cringed a little time each time I used it...
                      You won't "gum anything up" with starter fluid, it's just that it is so EXPLOSIVE,
                      it is easy to get carried away with the drag racer's philosophy:
                      If some is good, more is better, and too much is enough.

It actually requires a very small amount of ether (the fluid in starting fluid) to light a cold engine. Spraying more in there than is necessary is like lighting a bomb in the cylinders, instead of the usual firecracker. If you are lucky, you will only blow gaskets. If you are not so lucky, you might hole a piston, bend a rod or worse.

sigpic
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride

Comment

When you do get it started, check the temperature of your exhaust pipes and make sure all four are getting hot. Use a rag to make sure you don't burn your hand!

The pilot circuit has (almost) nothing to do with the starter circuit. Run a wire into the small brass tube at the front (engine) side of the carb in the float bowl area. Also, check the float bowl itself and make sure that the little hole for gas is clear.

Comment

Working...
                        X