Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carbs leak when choke pulled - sometimes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carbs leak when choke pulled - sometimes.

I have an occasional issue with the choke on my 550E. Sometimes, when I pull the choke for cold start, the carbs seem to flood and the #2 carb leaks from the float bowl gasket. What adjustments/repairs should I make to solve this?

Thanks.

Originally posted by FiremanBob View Post
    I have an occasional issue with the choke on my 550E. Sometimes, when I pull the choke for cold start, the carbs seem to flood and the #2 carb leaks from the float bowl gasket. What adjustments/repairs should I make to solve this?

Thanks.
    Since, #2 carb is mentioned, I'd be suspicious of petcock- is yours lever operated or screwdriver? Pulling the "choke" allows for more fuel to travel up passages.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Any chance your float bowls are set so that you are allowing a higher than normal level in the bowls so that adding choke to the equation causes them to overflow?
      1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
      1983 GS 1100 G
      2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
      2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
      1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Thanks for the ideas so far. I didn't take the carbs apart when I replaced the o-rings, so I'll add that to the winter maintenance list. The petcock is lever operated with a screw for the Prime position. That screw is tightened down fully. It only happens when I pull the choke out all the way.

Comment

Hi,

For reference: Overflowing Carbs.

As has been mentioned, the petcock is suspect and the carbs may need to be properly rebuilt using a new O-ring kit. Install new float bowl gaskets and check the float heights. Worn float valve needles and seats can cause leaks (as explained in the first link).

I'm not sure what kind of petcock you're talking about.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
          X