Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carb Teardown - stripped pilot jet - stripped pilot air jet - missing pilot jet plug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb Teardown - stripped pilot jet - stripped pilot air jet - missing pilot jet plug

Hi guys,
    I have torn down my carbs for a rebuild.

The carbs are in pretty crummy condition, but they should be great after a nice restoration.

I have a few questions. I've scoured the forums for all this info so I think im on the right track. I'd just like to add that Nessims tutorial has guided me very smoothly. I've had no problems except for these stripped jets that the PO has left me with..and some missing parts!

Firstly two Pilot jets are stripped
    I will try tomorrow with screw extractors to get them out. I'll obviously have to order some new Pilot jets, Might as well get all 4 new ones for each carb. Does this seem like the way to remove it.
    The number on the jet is very small but it looks like "40". I'm running a 4 to 1 exhaust and pod filters. Should I be going up higher to something like 47.5 ?

Secondly, One pilot air jet is stripped. I'll use the same method to get that out too. I will need to re-order a few of these also...There is no number on these so I'm unsure what to get.

Thirdly There were no pilot jet plugs on my pilot jets. I have a feeling these are essential in ensuring air/fuel mixtures.
    I'm also having a hard time locating them. If anyone could assist, i'd be greatly appreciative.

Cheers

Found this, not sure if the jets are suited for my bike however..

Comment

The pilot jet plugs are needed. otherwise, the hole between the pilot and the needle jet does not do it's job. As for getting the pilot jets out, soak them well with PB blaster over night and use a small reverse drill bit very carefully. You want the bit just a hair larger than the hole in the pilot jet it's self. Using a reverse bit on your drill very slowly, should cut into the brass and grab enough to back it out.

The mixture screws are VERY tough to get out. I ended up using one of my spare carb bodies because I could not get it out without damaging the carb. You can try the reverse bit on this, but they are a harder material than the brass from the pilot, so go slow and keep it wet with lots of pb blaster.
      Last edited by Guest; 12-01-2011, 11:00 AM.

Comment

Stick with the #40 pilot jet.
        Those kits have the correct parts for your carbs. Including the well plugs!
        The pilot jets are about $4.50 each.
        The needle and seat are about $15.00 per set and the well plugs are about $2.50 each.
        The fuel screw,spring and O-ring are about $15.00 a set.
        Float bowl gaskets are about $4-5.00 each.
        So that is a good deal for all of those parts.

Try 125 main jets with your set up.

Daniel
        Last edited by Guest; 12-01-2011, 11:12 AM.

Comment

my 2 cents...

Bought my rebuild kit from these guys... they are cheap, kits are loaded with parts, and they ship quick...

Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

-Mark
          -Mark
          Boston, MA
          Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
          sigpic
          1980 GS850G with 79 carbs.....

Comment

Update...

Used Screw extractors to remove the threaded jets. Came out in 5 mins. Was no sweat.
            Carb bodies are still good to use.
            Bought some Parts Wash which is also refered to as Carb Cleaner (but I think not as strong as real carb cleaner) in a 20 Litre drum. Will dip them in over night and see how it goes.

Ordered 4 Carb rebuild kits from Z1 (thanks mvalenti).

They should be here in 2 more days (paid for express postage international as the longer my carbs stay in bits, the more chance I will forget how to put them back together or lose something!!)

Cheers guys. Pics to follow.

Comment

Ok... so I keep reading that you shouldn't use rebuild kits. I'm in the same boat as OOHSAM. My pilot screw (only one in my case) is stripped. Also the gaskets are all messed up from PO I assume. I've seen Carbs on Ebay for $100 for all 4. No guarantee condition or if all the parts are really there. Is there a site you can buy OEM carb parts? Doesn't look like Bike Bandit has the pilot screws. So what are your opinions and suggestions. Thanks in advance.

OOHSAM how did the rebuild go for you? any problems with the rebuild kits? And thanks for the great post. It has helped me a lot.

Comment

Dont stress,
                Rebuild kits are fine if they ar good quality ones. The ones from Z1 are made in Japan and are very high quality.
                I can vouch for them as I installed them into my carbs.

Go for it I say, as long as its from Z1.

Comment

Thanks for the vote of confidence for going with Z1 products. This is the direction I will go. Thanks again!!

Comment

Working...
                  X