Exhaust leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust leak

I noticed that I have 2 pinhole size holes in my exaust. One on each muffler just about where the muffler meets the pipes. I only noticed them because a small amount of condensation was blowing out at start up. They almost appear like they are supposed to be there. Anyone think this is a problem worth doing anything about?

There seems to be a slightly bigger leak at the cross over between the 2 pipes. It seems fairly minor and doesn't make the exhaust any louder but you can feel it is you put your hand near it. Is it work repairing? How would I go about it?

Otherwise the exaust looks to be in very good condition.

Hey Phil,

someone with a 450 can tell you if the holes at the muffler connection are supposed to be there, as some exhausts do have a little hole there to allow condensation to drip out (e.g. Honda Rebel) but the leak at the crossover shouldn't be happening for sure.

Any hole that allows water in/out is going to be a starting point for rust, so it's best you address it sooner rather than later. You'll want to clean up any rust that is already there before patching them.

If they are pinholes, you can patch them with a little muffler putty. The stuff I used didn't exactly match the chrome, but it's on the bottom and not visible so I'm living with it.

As for the crossover, is the leak in the joint, or is there a small hole in the metal of the pipe?
    '83 GS650G
    '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
      Hey Phil,

someone with a 450 can tell you if the holes at the muffler connection are supposed to be there, as some exhausts do have a little hole there to allow condensation to drip out (e.g. Honda Rebel) but the leak at the crossover shouldn't be happening for sure.

Any hole that allows water in/out is going to be a starting point for rust, so it's best you address it sooner rather than later. You'll want to clean up any rust that is already there before patching them.

If they are pinholes, you can patch them with a little muffler putty. The stuff I used didn't exactly match the chrome, but it's on the bottom and not visible so I'm living with it.

As for the crossover, is the leak in the joint, or is there a small hole in the metal of the pipe?
      Yeah the small holes in the muffler almost appear to be on purpose since they are in the exact same location on each muffler. It seems like it would be an odd coincidence. There is not rust in that area. The cross over does have some rust though not bad. I think it will be something I will explore more in the spring.

For the crossover it seems to be leaking at the joint.

Comment

I seem to recall small holes on the underside of my stock one, however I can't check as it's been trashed... The crossover shouldn't be leaking though.
        1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
        1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

All the stock muffler systems have the pinholes to exhaust the condensate that collects there. Don't plug them, you'll regret it.
          Last edited by Guest; 12-02-2011, 02:20 AM. Reason: poor spelling

Comment

No hole in crossover piece on wife's 450. terrylee

Comment

Originally posted by DanTheMan View Post
              All the stock muffler systems have the pinholes to exhaust the condenate that collects there. Don't plug them, you'll regret it.
              That's what I figured. I just wanted to double check. I'll have to add the crossover leak to my list of items to address.

Comment

Working...
              X