carb overflow lines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

carb overflow lines

Do the hoses that come off the carbs attach anywhere? Should they be attached in any specfic way?

No they dont attatch anywhere. The drains just run under the airbox and the ends go between the rear of the tranny and swing arm. Once you have all 4 run thru then just trim them off under the bike with some side cutters or whatever will snip them off.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Hi,

The fuel line and vacuum line attach to the petcock. The others are vent hoses. Lay them over the top of the airbox and let them hang.

Where Do These Hoses Go?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Well I had a wrestling match with the bike to get the carbs back in. They don't make it easy at all with the very limited space to move the airbox. Luckily I won the match and get the bike back together.

The bike started right up from a cold start just about instantly. She had a weird runaway idle at first but I slackened the throttle cable and backed out the idle speed knob.

Played with the idle speed knob a fair amount and somehow through almost magic the idle settled down. I am not sure if something just was sticking slightly but when you gave it some throttle it would return to about 2500 to 3000 rpm and stay. After playing with it a bit the bike just started to idle normally.

I don't think I will plan on taking the carbs out again anytime soon! Rebuilding the carbs was a much easier process then the removal and re-installation of them.

Hopefully I run into someone with the tool to vacuum sync the carbs.

Is there something I would notice if the bench sync was fairly off? With only the 2 carbs it seemed pretty easy to get them uniform.

Also, I left the air mixture screws both 2 full turns out form lightly seated.

Anyhow, I am excited that I was able to get it all done and with a seemingly good result.

Thank you to everyone here and all the awesome resources everyone has provided!

Comment

I found it easier to remove the carbs and airbox and connect them before reinstalling both pieces together as one unit.

Comment

If it's idling that high and "hanging" like you say, it's possible your carb boots are leaking (or at least the orings). Did you replace those when you had the carbs off?
            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

or,,,,,,,if you want a custom carb overflow pipe you could have one like this. just one pipe to run at the back of the engine instead of 4 and comes in the colour of your choice
              1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                If it's idling that high and "hanging" like you say, it's possible your carb boots are leaking (or at least the orings). Did you replace those when you had the carbs off?
                The boots appeared to be in good shape and the o-rings were brand new. It's idling fine now. I thing something might have just been a little funky with the idle speed adjuter screw and possibly the throttle cable. The only thing that's not super air tight is the air filter itself but its exactly the same as it was before I pulled the carbs. I've put a new one on my Christmas list.

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
                  or,,,,,,,if you want a custom carb overflow pipe you could have one like this. just one pipe to run at the back of the engine instead of 4 and comes in the colour of your choice
                  http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z...x/100_1024.jpg
                  Since mine is only a twin I'm ok with the 2 rubber lines. I am trying to stay as stock as I can.

Comment

Originally posted by Phil View Post
                    I am not sure if something just was sticking slightly but when you gave it some throttle it would return to about 2500 to 3000 rpm and stay. After playing with it a bit the bike just started to idle normally.

Also, I left the air mixture screws both 2 full turns out form lightly seated.
                    Part of your "hanging idle" problem might be your mixture screw settings. Try turning them out a full turn, to three turns out. Once the bike warms up fully, slowly turn each mixture screw in until you hear the engine slow down just a bit, then back the screw back out about 1/8 turn. Yes, you might end up back near that 2-turn setting you have now, but at least you'll know that it's where it should be.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                    X