Ceramic header coating--Anyone have any first hand experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ceramic header coating--Anyone have any first hand experience

I have a Mr.turbo side dump header in really nice shape that I would like to have coated in the shiny polished look similar to chrome. I am currently looking at 3 companies; Jet-Hot, Aesthetic Finishers and Mad Scientist. What are the pros and cons of this type of coating? What is the average price range for this? Any suggestions on what to look for? Any areas to be careful of? Any other companies that you could recommend? Thanks in advance for your help!

A hot-rod friend of mine recommends Jet-coat. had his header done on a Ford motor in the 90's, and it's still there, last a LONG time. Lots of car guys seriously recommend them. I plan to use them on a bike or two I have. I tried all kind of header paint, and they ALL come off. Jet coat will strip off the chrome and what not and bake their stuff into it. Costs about $250, but worth it. One pipe that you speak of will probably be about $100. They do the inside and outside. Lasts forever

Comment

I had these done when I had the drag bike at a local place...they called it cerachrome...cost about $200

Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
      '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

That's the look i'm shooting for!

Comment

Yep.

From this:

To this:

Comment

I have stopped in at Aesthetic Finishers, as they are not too far from my house. Appears to be a good place and prices are not too bad.

Last year, I saw this bike in Flori-duh and talked to the owner. He had his pipes done at Aesthetic Finishers.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I can't comment on those particular places but when I got my pipe made up I asked for ceramic coating instead of chrome to see if I could get the outside of the pipe to be not quite as hot as the chrome finish given my pipe now runs along the left side of the bike under my leg.

I've only ridden it around the block once (not registered yet) and I didn't even notice it was warm... definitely appears to be not as hot as the stock chrome ones got at this point in time but I won't know for sure until I ride it for some decent period of time.

One thing is to expect the finish to darken somewhat with use, I haven't got to that point either yet...
              1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
              1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

It's such a good idea from a performance POV that I don't understand why the manufacturers don't use it on new bikes. In a production environment, the coating must cost much less than $250.

Comment

I *think* the ceramic coating cost was less than $200 going by what he said the price difference was from chrome, but the invoice is just for the pipe and everything.

I would definitely say much less than $200 once they have a production line setup for it...

I had heard it was good for performance also (cooler outside makes gases exit faster I think?) but I can't comment on that part yet...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
                    I had heard it was good for performance also (cooler outside makes gases exit faster I think?) but I can't comment on that part yet...
                    Keeping the exhaust gasses hotter is what helps it move out the pipe quicker/easier. The ceramic stuff keeps the heat from transferring to the pipe, so the gasses inside stay hotter.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                      Keeping the exhaust gasses hotter is what helps it move out the pipe quicker/easier. The ceramic stuff keeps the heat from transferring to the pipe, so the gasses inside stay hotter.
                      Thanks for the clarification, at least I was sort of in the ball park

sigpic

Comment

That CBX is a beast!

Comment

Working...
                        X