Developed a slow gas leak...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Developed a slow gas leak...

Thought I smelled gas last night and this morning in the garage I definitely did. Looked under the bike and there was a small puddle, about the size of three quarters. Looked around and saw some moisture on top of the case under carb 1 and 2. The last time I rode it was Tuesday and did not smell anything until yesterday so I thought I might have a float stuck open and finally leaked (is that possible?). Started it with a little choke and she fired right up and I turned off the choke right away and she ran smooth. There was a small "pop" in the area of the started, I was wondering if the starter ignited some of the gas that was sitting there (is that possible?). I let it run for a few minutes and it started to leak a bit more, dripping off the exhaust pipes. Upon further inspection I saw what appeared to be fuel leak residue on the air box under carb 1 and 2.

So I guess it looks like a tear down as far as I need to locate the leak.

Does a stuck float sound plausible or am I way off?

Thanks.

Possible yes, but I would take them apart and replace the float valve O ring...

Comment

Check your petcock.

Comment

The o-rings were all replace with the rebuild and the petcock is vacuum, what would I check, to make sure it is not stuck open???

Comment

Pull the fuel line with the bike turned off, petcock set to on. A tiny amount of gas will drip out and stop. If it does not stop, or if it flows, your petcock is bad.

My bike did most of what you defined, even leaked a little when running right after start. I ended up adding an in line fuel switch since I could not afford a new petcock.
          Last edited by Guest; 12-04-2011, 03:30 PM.

Comment

The petcock tab is in the vertical position, I moved it to the horizontal then back. I do not see any fresh leaking just the residue from before. Something weird though,,,,,,I am having condensation (water) leak from my pipes at the joint from the header to the pipe. I have a 4 to 1 and have not experienced this before.

Comment

Originally posted by MiloBramble View Post
              The petcock tab is in the vertical position, I moved it to the horizontal then back. I do not see any fresh leaking just the residue from before. Something weird though,,,,,,I am having condensation (water) leak from my pipes at the joint from the header to the pipe. I have a 4 to 1 and have not experienced this before.
              Colder weather will do that. There are weep holes where the pipes meet the muffler. One of the big rust issues is from folks not fully warming the bike if they start it during cold months and letting that condensation sit in there for months.

Comment

Originally posted by keman View Post
                Colder weather will do that. There are weep holes where the pipes meet the muffler. One of the big rust issues is from folks not fully warming the bike if they start it during cold months and letting that condensation sit in there for months.
                I had a feeling that was the case,,,first winter that I have had it,,,,thanks.

Comment

Well I took off my tank....the petcock leaked a bit then stopped. If I shlosh the tank around it will leak a bit but nothing steady. I did notice that when I disconnected my fuel line from the petcock that it appeared as if it was wet as if that was where the leak was coming from. I am going to get a new fuel line and install it and see if that is indeed the problem area before I buy a new petcock.

Comment

Working...
                  X