No announcement yet.

Did I make a mistake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ed, your pictures are coming up saying they've been moved or deleted.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Re-sync, definitely.

Guess how I know this...
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

You should be able to hook up the tool without pulling the fuel tank. It should be easy enough to verify the synch. Why not check it and let us know what you find? My guess is that your synch is way off.
        sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Hi,

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
          Re-sync, definitely.

Guess how I know this...
          If Brian says it, you can take it to the bank.

Please disregard my previous advice.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Tank is still off. Just don't want to mess with the stupid plastic adapters again and don't have the parts to build metal ones right now. I'll get the nice set from Z1 when funds are available. Meanwhile she can just wait!

Comment

Originally posted by keman View Post
              Pics no work...?
              Originally posted by Nessism View Post
              Must be your firewall.
              Not the firewall, it's happening here, too.

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
              I installed adapters on each inlet tube and have rubber plugs on them, ala Kawasaki Z1. Makes synching real easy, no more removal of hex screws and installing adapters to do the synch.
              I tried that for a while on "Junior", but removed them rather soon.

I probably don't have the mixture set quite perfectly, the bike will occasionally hiccup (backfire) while warming up. One of those hiccups blew a cap off the adapter, I had to go to Auto Zone to get a kit of rubber caps to replace it. Even with smaller caps that I really had to fight to put on, they would still blow off with a hiccup.

I might re-install the adapters when I get the jetting fully-sorted out, but for now, they sit in the toolbox.

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
              You should be able to hook up the tool without pulling the fuel tank. It should be easy enough to verify the synch. Why not check it and let us know what you find? My guess is that your synch is way off.
              Easy enough to hook up the gauges with the tank on, but since we KNOW the sync is off, he's going to have to remove the tank to make the adjustment.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Minor diversion. When I get my carbs synced perfect, I notice that when I blip the throttle, one ball shoots up significantly ahead of the others. Is that normal? Compression on the cylinders is not perfectly balanced but not way off either.
                1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
                1983 GS 1100 G
                2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
                2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
                1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  I tried that for a while on "Junior", but removed them rather soon.

I probably don't have the mixture set quite perfectly, the bike will occasionally hiccup (backfire) while warming up. One of those hiccups blew a cap off the adapter, I had to go to Auto Zone to get a kit of rubber caps to replace it. Even with smaller caps that I really had to fight to put on, they would still blow off with a hiccup.

I might re-install the adapters when I get the jetting fully-sorted out, but for now, they sit in the toolbox.

STEVE, I have had mine on for about 700 miles and they are still in place. I just took a picture so you can see the type of rubber plugs used.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
                    STEVE, I have had mine on for about 700 miles and they are still in place. I just took a picture so you can see the type of rubber plugs used.

I have the adapters also and have had trouble like Steve describes. Mainly, it's #1 cylinder so I have the orig socket screw back in that one. Any ideas on my sync question a couple of posts above?
                    1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
                    1983 GS 1100 G
                    2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
                    2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
                    1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Update

Well, I finally got off me butt and re-synced the carbs with the petcock vacuum tube plugged.

Yep. sure as spit, #2 was WAY off.

Got them all nice and level, adjusted the air/fuel mix screws using the highest idle method. She runs like a Top, nice idle, clean revs on quick throttle, settles right back to about 1100 and idles steady.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I appreciate the input.

Now I just need to get her all back together and road test (weather permitting)

Comment

Working...
                      X