79 GS1000 with CV carbs is this correct

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

79 GS1000 with CV carbs is this correct

I just started cleaning the carbs from my stock 79 GS1000 and all the parts diagrams I can find for a 79 show mechanical carbs. The ones that came from my bike are CV carbs. Did Suzuki put CV's on this year? What are the chances someone put different set of carbs on my bike? Did Suzuki change the carbs late in the model year to CV's. I am also looking for a rebuild kit for them. The vacuum needle has 5050 stamped on it and they look thick and not much taper. The main jet I pulled from them are 107's and the slow jet are 40's. Are these the correct jets for this bike? None of the rebuild kits have this main jet in the kit. The ones I have been looking at are for a 80 or 81, those parts match what I have.

Pretty sure those are the wrong carbs. I'm not an expert, but I did just do the carbs on my '79 1000. They were VM26's I think. No reason those won't work though, if they're the right size. You'll just need some help sorting them out. You've come to the right place. Just wait and someone will be along soon to help. Or fix you up with a set of the right carbs.

Comment

The change to CV was in 80.What is the date of manufacture?Past Sept or so it's a 80.

Comment

Either way, you do not need to buy "rebuild kits". 99% of the time all you need is a new set of O-rings, and new bowl gaskets. The o-rings can be found at cycleorings.com it's a full set of every o-ring you need exept the manifold to head o-rings that almost always need to be replaced as these are a major cause of air intake leaks. (the boots between the carbs and the head) you will need to order those too when you get the orings for your carbs.

Click the link in my Sig for a whole world of info including the carb tutorials you will need. Take no shortcuts, trust me on this.

Comment

Those are the right jets for an '80 1000E but the 1000g had 115 mains. Here's a fiche http://www.alpha-sports.com/suzuki_parts.htm
          1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
          1983 GS 1100 G
          2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
          2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
          1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Do us a favor in order to help you out. Look at the manufacture date (it'll be on a label on the steering neck behind and in-between the triple clamp) and tell us what it says. Or simply take a pic of your bike. If was built after august or September it's likely an '80 model that's been mis-titled as a '79.

Comment

Or another way to tell is to pull the ignition cover (small round cover on the right side of the engine) if it's got points, it a '79. If it doesn't, it's an 80

Comment

Above comments relate to a US spec bike.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Yes Ed is right(as usual).Surprising differences between US and Canadian bikes at times.

Comment

Originally posted by SVSooke View Post
                    Yes Ed is right(as usual).Surprising differences between US and Canadian bikes at times.
                    Much less Brit, Aussie/NZ, Euro, etc
                    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                    2007 DRz 400S
                    1999 ATK 490ES
                    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                      Do us a favor in order to help you out. Look at the manufacture date (it'll be on a label on the steering neck behind and in-between the triple clamp) and tell us what it says. Or simply take a pic of your bike. If was built after august or September it's likely an '80 model that's been mis-titled as a '79.
                      This '79 GS1000EN has a manufacture date of August '78 on the frame steering neck sticker, a month or two older and it would be a Skunk.
                      sigpic
                      Steve
                      "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Whats that site with engine numbers..ozebook or something like that. wouldnt the engine number tell the year perameters???
                        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Hi,

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                          Whats that site with engine numbers..ozebook or something like that. wouldnt the engine number tell the year perameters???
                          Included in the "mega-welcome":

Suzuki Engine and Frame Numbers

Hey there Mr. bomber737, have a look at your other thread for lots more information. Welcome to the GSR.

As others have said, if it was built in late '79 it could actually be an '80 model. There can be slight differences between models shipped to countries other than the U.S.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks to all for responding. The side covers have the GS1000E badges on them just like the picture of the bike below. They look identical except mine is blue. I will post a picture of it on the day I brought it home. I am just getting done with a 2 day carb dip soak and an hour in my ultrasonic parts cleaner. So with the jetting difference mentioned I am going to figure it is a 80 E model with the smaller jets and electronic ignition. I know it has that. I don't think the intake boots have ever been replaced and they are still quite pliable and there is no cracking. I have a lot of experience with crappy leaky carb boots with my XJ750 Seca. I have a huge set of o-rings and I am already replacing them as I get the carbs put back together. I will go look at the neck today and post whats there tomorrow. Havin trouble attaching a picture.

Comment

You ARE replacing the intake manifold O-rings and bolts too, right?

Daniel

Comment

Working...
                              X