Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pre 80/750 and smaller had kickers.

Comment

I will be pulling the intake boots off tomorrow so I will have the vin to post. As far as I can remember it does not have a kick start. I will try and include pictures. I am thinking it's a late late year 1980 model. Seems to me trying to find the correct parts, Suzuki changed stuff during the production run. That would make since if he purchased it late in the year and the next years models were on dealer floors. I don't know when bike manufacturers put out the next years models. 2K seems low for a liter bike when you think XS650's are going for $3500 for a nice one. The GS is far superior to the XS and less GS's were made. Right now I have around 300 bucks in the bike so any way I go I should stay in the black on it. I plan on keeping it around for a long time as my 2 up rider. Once it's running I am planning on selling my 81 CB750F supersport.

Comment

The coincidence is funny,my 78 1000 is going to be our 2 up machine.My project "in the wings" is a 81 CB750F

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
          pre 80/750 and smaller had kickers.
          And 1979 GS850

Comment

Originally posted by SVSooke View Post
            The coincidence is funny,my 78 1000 is going to be our 2 up machine.My project "in the wings" is a 81 CB750F
            Your going to love the supersport. I tool mine on a 3 day 1000 mile trip this summer. Seat not the best but it ran like a dream. My advise is leave it stock, carbs and exhaust. DOHC Honda are a real pain in the a$$ to tweak the carbs. Hopefully you have the stock C model carbs with the screw out slow jets,not the A or B model carbs with the pressed in slow jets.

Comment

Since I have the carb rack taken apart do these carbs have issues with the butterfly shaft seals wearing out quickly? Are these carbs prone to air leaks at the shaft seals? The ones on these carbs seem to be soft and pliable.

Comment

Well I pulled the intake boots off today and you guys were correct. All but 1 o-ring was broken. I got really lucky and all the screws came out with out stripping or breaking off. The VIN on the bike is GS1000-529880 and it was manufactured in 11/79. So it must be a 1980 model year bike. Is there a paint code in that VIN #?

Comment

Originally posted by bomber737 View Post
                  Is there a paint code in that VIN #?
                  No. it's just a serial number.
                  79 GS1000S
                  79 GS1000S (another one)
                  80 GSX750
                  80 GS550
                  80 CB650 cafe racer
                  75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                  75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Hi,

Suzuki has a paint code on the fuel tank page of their parts fiche. You can cross-reference that color/code with the Color-Rite chart on my little website.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Great...thanks i will go look at your site later tonight. You list color rite are the color codes universal? I have a ppg place 2 miles from my house. I try to support the local guys if i can. But color rite does make a excellent product. Thanks again to all for your valuable information and guidance.

Comment

Hi,

Originally posted by bomber737 View Post
                        You list color rite are the color codes universal? I have a ppg place 2 miles from my house.
                        Your local guy may be able to cross-reference the Color-Rite code.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I was wondering how the butterfly shaft seals fair in these carbs. Are they to wearing out with only 3700 miles on the carbs. I checked the ones in the end carbs and they are soft and pliable.

Comment

I've never heard of problems with the shaft seals on these carbs.

Comment

That's good to know. Here is some photos of where my carbs are now. Sorry, don't know why the one is blurry.
                              Last edited by Guest; 12-14-2011, 11:41 PM.

Comment

Whats a shaft seal?
                                sigpic

82 GS850
                                78 GS1000
                                04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                                .................________-|___\____
                                ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Working...
                                X