4-1 always = loss of low/mid power?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4-1 always = loss of low/mid power?

I've read here that a 4-1 exhaust will add high-rpm hp (a small amount) but at the cost of low and mid-range power. Why is this? And is this always the case, or only when coupled with pod filters and a jet kit?

When I installed a Vance&Hines 4-1 to my 750 I didn't notice any low end to mid range loss. The bike screamed for sure to 9.5k rpm but the kicker was I dropped almost 25lbs over the stock exhaust so the bike felt faster and leaned quicker round turns. It still accelerated like a bat out of hell... My stock exhaust was shot to crap, you know holier than Swiss cheese partly why I got a new exhaust.

Never noticed what your stating.
    Jedz Moto
    1988 Honda GL1500-6
    2002 Honda Reflex 250
    2018 Triumph Bonneville T120
    2023 Triumph Scrambler 1200XE
    Cages: '18 Subaru OB wagon 3.6R and '16 Mazda 3
    Originally posted by Hayabuser
    Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Originally posted by UncleMike View Post
      I've read here that a 4-1 exhaust will add high-rpm hp (a small amount) but at the cost of low and mid-range power. Why is this? And is this always the case, or only when coupled with pod filters and a jet kit?
      If you can feel a loss of power between a stock exhaust and a 4to1 then you don’t have the carbs set right. With a 4to1 megaphone you should feel more low-end torque. A 4to1 canister muffler should have a high-end power band with no real loss on the low-end.

Comment

Only a cam change would exhibit that behavior. A pipe and pods just allow more air to flow, which is why you also have to rejet so the AFR remains the same.

Comment

Working...
        X