Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hairline crack in carb throat - Is it dead?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hairline crack in carb throat - Is it dead?

I'm cleaning my carbs for the first time (ever!) in order to change the o-rings with the hope to stop a persistent fuel leak out of the #1

I've noticed that there is a hairline crack in the #1 carb's throat starting from the main jet hole and going in both directions. The crack terminates at the crease where the throat begins to expand on the airbox side, and at a circular indentation about an inch towards the engine side.

Is this where my fuel was leaking, or just a coincidence? Is this carb toast?

How about posting a picture?

I'd be agreeable though that it's probably the source of your leak as it shouldn't be cracked at all.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

If only I could find the dam USB cord! I've got a couple good pics here...

Comment

Comment

There's a bunch of other photos here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/3905648...7628426046477/

Comment

You sure it's a crack and maybe not just a gouge in the metal where someone wasn't careful with a tool perhaps?

What bike is this for? If it's a crack, I'd simply replace the body and not take any chances. I have quite a few good bodies depending on what you need.

Comment

It's a crack, alright. I'd call that body a goner.

Comment

Alright then, please see my WTB thread here.

Comment

+1 on this assessment. While it looks like a crack from the photo, first priority would be to confirm. One technique which can help is to spray a lower volatility material into the suspected crack, wipe the surface dry and spray some foot powder over the area. Gasoline works well. If wetness continues to wick up, you know the opening is significant. There are other means but since you likely do not have access to crack detection equipment...

One other test which is quite reliable is to reinstall the carb. and see if it works well. It was also good to hear that others have a supply of these carbs. in case..... These threads usually have more than one useful aspect.

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                  You sure it's a crack and maybe not just a gouge in the metal where someone wasn't careful with a tool perhaps?

Comment

Are 1981 GS850L Carbs compatible?

This Ebay Auction seems lie a decent deal: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1981-Suzuki-...item336f3e3928

Comment

Your 1000 carbs should be 34mm, whereas the 850 carbs should be 32mm.

So, no, they shouldn't be the same (but stranger things have happened...)

Comment

I guess the question now is "what size" carb?
                        If it's a 34mm, here's just the carb body off of No. 1, on E-bay, the other 3 are on E-bay also, all listed separately.

sigpic
                        Steve
                        "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Working...
                        X