Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simple job turned into nightmare.

So my project gs 1000

Took the exhasut off today, as it has a couple of holes where the 4-1 section joins and has been filled with the cold weld stuff.

So after a number of days squirting the screws i took them out, all easy untill the missle one started coming out fine then just snapped...

A friedn has said get stud extractor, but i think the engine fins are in the way.

any one offer any advice, i thought of welding a botl onto it, but mighty be risky... any help appreciated.

Are you on about the bolts that go in to the cylinder head?
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Take a picture of what left in the head..this will help us troubleshoot. There are several ways to address the issue, but then again it cant be addressed on the blind. Whatever you do..DO NO NO NOT use easy outs!!!!!! You can weld a nut onto the stud is theres enough sticking out, you can drill down the center of it and collapse it into itself, I have a set of craftsman stud extractors that I have used sucessfully. Post a picture and then we can add out assesments.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

IF theres enough sticking, slip a nut thats bigger than the stud over it and weld the nut on really good. Then let it cool and use LOTS of PB Blaster or other PENETRATING oil. GENTLY work the bolt back and forth slowly working it out a little more each time. This back and forth motion will break down the rust and will help work the oil in deeper..keep spraying it and working it out. Patience and slowly working on it is the key.
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by bikerzx7r1981 View Post

any one offer any advice, i thought of welding a botl onto it, but mighty be risky... any help appreciated.
          Weld away. The welding heat will loosen the bolt while you are at it.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

NO EASY OUTS!!!

Unless you want to drill through even HARDER steel when it snaps off, do not use them.

Seriously the worst tool ever made.

Weld a nut to the bolt, when it's still hot put some elbow grease into it. Lots of PB buster and it should come out.

Worst case scenario you can drill out the bolt and tap the hole.

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
              Are you on about the bolts that go in to the cylinder head?
              Sorry yeah its the bolts that go in the head

Comment

Yeah I think welding maybe the way forward. I dont have one but will get bidding on ebay

Comment

When this happened on my bike (x3), I ended up drilling them out then re tapping them to the next size bolt up. Went up to 5/16 nf SAE if I remember. Put some anti seize on all of them.

Comment

If you haven't got a welder there are a few other ways to try first.

Is there enough thread sticking out to get a nut on? If so pop one on and either do the 2 nut trick (unlikely you have that much thread showing) or mullah the threads so that the nut sticks.

No thread showing - try whacking a flathead screwdriver in there and impacting out. You don't have to make a perfect head to unscrew the thing.

The other method is to chisel the thing out. Tap it round using a sharp wood chisel that you no longer use for carpentry.

And squirt plenty of 3-1 Professional penetrating oil down the thread. WD40 does NOT work.
                    79 GS1000S
                    79 GS1000S (another one)
                    80 GSX750
                    80 GS550
                    80 CB650 cafe racer
                    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

No welder? Rent one…

They don't have places that rent tools in your berg?
                      1982 GS1100G- road bike
                      1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine)
                      1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
                        If you haven't got a welder there are a few other ways to try first.

Is there enough thread sticking out to get a nut on? If so pop one on and either do the 2 nut trick (unlikely you have that much thread showing) or mullah the threads so that the nut sticks.

No thread showing - try whacking a flathead screwdriver in there and impacting out. You don't have to make a perfect head to unscrew the thing.

The other method is to chisel the thing out. Tap it round using a sharp wood chisel that you no longer use for carpentry.

And squirt plenty of 3-1 Professional penetrating oil down the thread. WD40 does NOT work.
                        There is still a fair bit left, ( 20mm) so could maybe just get two bolt... can you explain the two bolt trick please?

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
                          They don't have places that rent tools in your berg?
                          Yeah but its a only a few pounds of buying a new one really.

Comment

Unless you can weld a nut to the protruding piece or double nut as have been suggested, heat it to red hot and apply some parafin wax (a candle or canning wax) to it as close to the surface of the main structure as possible while it is cooling. After it cools, heat and wax again. Try to turn it out by use of a stud extracter, drive an old socket onto the end, etc. If it won't turn, repeat. The wax travels up the threads and acts to release and lubricate better than anything. Old trick but really works. Don't bother with WD40 as it is useless except as a cleaner. Most penetrating oils are almost equally poor. Automatic transmission oil or engine oil can be very good if can get them in there but beware of the fumes.

Soaking heat seized fastners with any penetrating fluid is a very, very faint hope. It's one of those, "may as well try as no hurry and can spray several times each day for a week or so..." things.

As someone said, photos may help a lot in terms of advise. Easy-outs are very useful devices but not in the hands of the untrained. I've removed dozens of broken ones but no use in adding to your grief. Avoid them unless you understand their application. I wrote a piece on them and extraction in an earlier thread which may contain something useful.

The biggest factor is not not get into a hurry and make things worse. "What can be worse than a seized and broken bolt?", you say. Don't discover an answer to that question because one has to experience only one of the answers to that question to be in a world of hurt! What you have is not a big deal for an experienced technician and if you are careful + considered in action you will develop some useful experience.

If you do have to repair the hole, heli-coils, inserts, a step stud, or oversize bolt are all possibles but please do not use inch sized ones as this is just asking for some problem in future. When I worked in the trades, we have many colorful terms to describe the ancestry of people who did this!

Don't hurry and make sure that the advise you use comes from someone who knows something about the subject. Far too many people who have read some web stuff on the subject or got lucky once or twice who will advise. There are several people here who are practiced in this area so listen and you should be OK.

Photos!

Comment

Some of this thread may be useful: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=185000

Comment

Working...
                              X