Carb/Start/Run Issue ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb/Start/Run Issue ??

I have a 82 GS650G with about 50K miles that has been awakened from the dead.Valves have been adjusted and the carbs rebuilt. However, the mechanic could not things quite right with the carbs.It is running so lean that it is extremely hard to start when cold. Once it warms up it runs good and seems to build power(haven't rode it yet because of a brake issue). He said that he could either set them to start good and run like crap when warm or be a bitch to start cold and run good when warm.

Any thoughts????

If the valves have been PROPERLY adjusted and the carbs PROPERLY rebuilt, you should not have to do much more than thnk about pushing the starter button to have the engine roar to life.

If the valves are tight (especially the intakes), it will be hard to start when cold. Even a warm engine runs better with looser valves.

If the carbs were properly rebuilt and adjusted you should still need a bit of "choke" to start it when cold, but not when warm.
    After all, that's the whole purpose of the "choke" (actually enrichener) circuit, it's for starting a cold engine.

If the float level is correct (22.4 mm), make sure the idle mixture adjustment screws are set to three full turns out from lightly seated.
    If that does not work, you have some blocked passages in your carbs.

If your "mechanic" can't figure out the carbs, you need a new mechanic. The best one for the job is the bike's owner.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

You need a new mechanic
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

That's what I am beginning to think. The valves are much quieter than before and it idles great when warm but it will not rev above 3000 rpm now on the tank. It did fine on a test bottle at the shop. I have had enough of this.

Comment

Originally posted by dw200 View Post
          The valves are much quieter than before and it idles great when warm but it will not rev above 3000 rpm now on the tank.
          Two things going on here:
          1. If the valves are noisy, they are WAY too loose. Stock clearance is only .03 to .08 mm, which is the thickness of a piece of paper.
          You can not hear the cam closing up those small clearances.
          2. Do you have the airbox on? Or, if you are running pods, are they installed?
          The bike will not run properly without something on the intake side of the carbs.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Are you sure the carbs were rebuilt correctly ie complete tear down and soak?

-Dave
            82 GS1100E
            five asses because it's far superior to having just four!
            Yes, I watched too much South Park!

Comment

Hi,

You and your mechanic read this: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I'll address a couple of posts at once. The bike has the original airbox with a new, OEM replacement filter on it. I cannot verify what carb kits that the mechanic used in the rebuild. I only know the parts that he asked me to order (new main jets). The valves are quiet. I bought the shim kit from Z1 and he used what he needed. I gave him the clearances from the Suzuki book. And yes, I have read the "Newbe Mistakes".

The bike has a Dyna ignition in it now. I figured that problem out before I took it to him. However, I think it may have confused him a bit and I don't think he ever checked the ignition timing. That might be a root cause here.

I think I may have picked the wrong mechanic.

Comment

I think I may have picked the wrong mechanic.
                  You will find that most all of us will recommend you do the work yourself as 1) it's really not that hard, and 2) most mechanics don't know what they are doing with these old bikes and will try to rip you off.
                  Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                  1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                  2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                  Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                  and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

He said that he could either set them to start good and run like crap when warm or be a bitch to start cold and run good when warm.

Any thoughts????
                    He's full of crap. If everything is working correctly, a flick of the fingernail on the starter button and it is running, hot or cold.
                    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                      If everything is working correctly, a flick of the fingernail on the starter button and it is running, hot or cold.
                      dw200; This stuff can be very frustrating and hard to believe, but it's true! My same bike at 39k starts so easily it sometimes startles me and I don't lavish it with lots of maintenance. Most "professional" mechanics don't have much interest in these old bikes- you're better off hanging out here and taking advantage of mountains of advice. It's not fun removing these carbs and making sure they are really clean, but if you want a decent running bike, there is no alternative.
                      If you have access to timing light, check to make sure the timing advances to about 35 BTDC by 4k.
                      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I am not even getting to 4000 RPM to check the timing. I guess I will have to make the time to do it myself. I have the Z1 shim kit so I will start over from there.

Comment

I am not even getting to 4000 RPM to check the timing. I guess I will have to make the time to do it myself. I have the Z1 shim kit so I will start over from there.
                          That's odd, since you said it idled "great when warm"- in neutral , a blip of throttle should drive it past 4k at least momentarily even with dirty carbs. In any event, carb cleaning is #1 priority. How does bike look - any pics?
                          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I got the bike back for a different shop today. Found an independant shop that had no problem working on the old thing. It just seems a little funny that after the other mechanic tearing the carbs down twice (his words), there were still very dirty (new mechanics words). They also found something in all 4 carbs that had been installed wrong. No wonder things wouldn't adjust right.

End result after another teardown, a rebuilt rear master cylinder, and setting the timimg....a decent running machine to be 30 years old. I'll put some pics up tommorrow.

Comment

And another reason you should just do the work yourself.

Looking forward to the pictures.
                              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Working...
                              X