Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb Rebuild Complete - Dies on throttle

Hi Guys,
    I did a full carb teardown and rebuild on my GS1100 ('83).
    I followed Nessims rebuild to the letter.

The only thing I did different was buy 4 carb rebuild kits from Z1 and replace all the internals with new parts instead of cleaning my old parts (lots of damage done to the jets from PO).

The kits came with 2 of every jet, I'll get the numbers that I put in later as I'm not home.

The bike started right up and the hanging idle issue seems to have gone. I didnt need choke or anything to start up, took a few cranks and off she went.

I did a bench sync, but not a vacum sync yet (waiting for my synchroniser to come in).
    Idle screws turned at 2.5 turns...
    When I put the bike in gear and throttle, the bike dies.

Now I know that it still needs a proper sync, but is this common for the bike to do this without the vacum sync, or is it possible I jetted too big/small. Is this an indication of running rich or lean?

Just some assistance would be great as I'm not sure what to tackle first.
    Is it possible that the carbs did not get a good clean, and will need to be re-dipped ?

I am running pods but not the K&N pods, also a 4 to 1 exhaust.
    Last edited by Guest; 01-07-2012, 08:02 PM.

Hi,

Originally posted by oohsam View Post
    I am running pods but not the K&N pods.
    Congratulations on a successful clean and rebuild of your carbs. You've made a good start. Did you also replace all of the internal O-rings using the kit from cycleorings.com?

Perhaps you should search the forums a little and find out how most people feel about the cheap EMGO pod filters. Most don't like them and say they never run right. I suggest reading this thread: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes.

Did these "carb kits" come with stock sized jets? Pod filters require larger jets because of the increased air flow. Sometimes the mains have to go up 4 to 6 sizes, maybe up one size on the pilot jet. Normally you have to shim the needle to richen up the midrange. It sounds like it's time for you to research tuning and jetting your carbs for a modified intake (exhaust too?). You'll find articles on my little website that may help.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
    Last edited by Guest; 12-27-2011, 09:39 PM.

Comment

Hi basscliffe
      Yes I did lots of reading about the filters I have some on order but.they r 2 months away! !

Yes the kits came with stock size jets.

Comment

Hi,

Drat. That's a long time to wait. I edited my post to try and offer some guidelines. It sounds like the stock jetting is way too lean now that you have pod filters installed.

BassCliff

Comment

You are going to have to rejet those carbs to match the pods. Dynojet makes plug and play jet kits so that might be your best bet. Some people rejet on their own, but the stock needles are not the proper shape for pods so it's a real compromise if you choose to run them.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Ah ok,
            I had the bike running fine through all 6 gears with the 'old' jets and the current pods....

I'll look into the dynojet ones.
            I can always put the stock airbox back on to have a starting point...With the stock airbox and stock jets, should the bike die on throttle?

Comment

Originally posted by oohsam View Post

I can always put the stock airbox back on to have a starting point...With the stock airbox and stock jets, should the bike die on throttle?

Stock jets + stock airbox + stock exhaust = known good configuration

So no, the bike should not die on throttle (goes without saying).
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

You should check first to see if your needles are adjustable before getting a DJ kits, since you're in Australia, your carbs are probably different from the US "nonadjustable" versions
                1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                2007 DRz 400S
                1999 ATK 490ES
                1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Hi,

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                  You should check first to see if your needles are adjustable before getting a DJ kits, since you're in Australia, your carbs are probably different from the US "nonadjustable" versions
                  Yes! Good call. I'm glad you caught this. The DJ kits do have a special taper on their needles. But if you have adjustable needles, maybe you can make it work without spending the extra money. Although the DJ kit does make tuning your carbs a lot easier, some have had success without.

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks guys,
                    I got home and pulled off the float bowls to see what jets I put in vs the standard.

I took out the jets and made all the jets as per standard specification.
                    Once I did this I took it back out to the bike (with my emgo cheapy pods) and fired up the bike. Took a while to start but it started and idled very smoothly. Took the bike out for a spin, and it rode fine.
                    When I pulled up i could hear the idle slowly dropping and about to die. I revved it a little to keep the bike running, but it died eventually.

I adjusted the large idle adjuster to put the idles up a little, and put it back in the garage, when i got to the garage the idle hung at about 3500 rpm. I killed the bike and then turned down the idle adjuster all the way and started the bike up.

The idle was not eratic, but it was much higher than previous (around 2k rpm).

Shut it off and called it a night.
                    Would these symptoms be due to

1. Not having done a vacum sync yet
                    2. having cheap emgos (varying air flow)
                    3. Not adjusting the idle screws on the carbs yet (2.5 turns still)
                    4. All of the above

Cheers.

Comment

79 GS1000S
                      79 GS1000S (another one)
                      80 GSX750
                      80 GS550
                      80 CB650 cafe racer
                      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Sorry about the 1 digit reply - couldn't resist it. The Emgo pods are the main culprit - unless you change your jets / needle position it'll never run right with them fitted. Indeed, some will say it will never run right with Emgos
                        79 GS1000S
                        79 GS1000S (another one)
                        80 GSX750
                        80 GS550
                        80 CB650 cafe racer
                        75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                        75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

hhahaha nah all good! was quite funny. LoL.

So I shouldn't even bother trying to vacum sync it now until the pod filters arrive?..

Not too sure at what stage I play with the idle screws, before or after vacum sync?
                          I've read every carb rebuild thread on GS resources....

Oh this carb rebuild has taken more effort than the entire rebuild! tiring!!!

Comment

Hey mate, here's what my very limited jetting/carb work has shown me so far with my 450...

Unlike the US carbs, my mixture screws were already exposed to adjustment and my needles are adjustable.

After thinking I had the pilots worked out to be far too lean, I went four sizes up and then after the shake down run and a proper warm up I discovered that was far too large and went back to two sizes up.

When heading to get the rego sorted, I discovered I had set my idle way too high because previously I hadn't really warmed the engine up enough, so I had to pull over to wind it back from the 3 - 4000RPM it was idling at

Then, after a bit more fiddling, I decided the mismatched header lengths were causing my left carb to be richer than the right carb, so I ordered another pilot jet so I'm running one size up on the left and two sizes up on the right.

Then I got my Morgan Carbtune for Christmas and I sync'd the carbs... now I'm back to square one with the jetting because I get lots of popping on decel that I never got before which means I reckon it's all running too rich now...

Moral of the story... I reckon do a proper sync first then play with your jetting, and make sure it's nice and hot and warmed up properly before trying anything

PS: Sorry for the lengthy post, just want you to see the run around you can cause yourself by not doing it the right way...
                            1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                            1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

I would synch the carbs with the pods in place first,don't take too long though your bike will be running pretty lean and its better safe than sorry. As far as finding the right jets I have found it helpful to got the Dynojet site and look up the kit they sell for your bike, there will be a pdf file that has the install directions, not real useful for you but they always show a parts list. This parts list shows the jet sizes for different stages within the kit. Take the jet size for the stage your configuration requires. Go to the bike shop and buy a set of jets in that size + a set in the next size up. The jets are really cheap and you will save allot of money over buying a kit. remember the kits are nice but there are no plug and play jet kits, everysetup is different and the kit is only going to get you close anyway. I have found that 1 size up over what thier kit supplies almost always nails it. You will benefit from all the research they have put into thier kit and mecifilly not have to keep pulling your carbs to change jets. I have had good luck with the low cost pod filters and in some configurations have found real power gains using them. The directions will also give you a good starting point for your mixture screws. Install the jets, warm up the bike then adjust the screws slowly in 1/4 turn increments in iether direction evenly across the carbs, you are looking for the idle rpm to go up while doing this if it goes down you have gone too far or in the wrong direction. Highest idle speed for each carb adjustment. Once this is done, recheck your synch and enjoy the ride! Needle hieghts may come into play here but do these things first, more times than not the bike will run fine and have great throttle response. if it doesn't have a look at the needles and try going up 1 notch if they are adjustable. To double check the jetting on a seemingly good running set up - warm up machine , take off in first gear and nail it wide open, hold wide open and shut off the bike, pull plugs and inspect, Bone white= Lean ashen gray - light brown = good jetting Sooty black = too rich I hope this helps make it a little easier for you, every bike and configuration can produce different challenges but this should get you damn close! Good luck
                              Last edited by Guest; 12-28-2011, 09:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X