Carb/petcock help, '81GS250

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb/petcock help, '81GS250

1. Took apart the petcock and replaced all the rubber seals I could order new, and cleaned it. After installation, fuel supply will not shut off, regardless of switch position. I'm assuming it is the diaphragm. However, these are not available new, without ordering the whole petcock assembly for $100! They are not even listed with a part # on the microfiche. So, does anybody know of a source for new diaphragms? If not, what about another model petcock that I could pick one up used, that has parts available for it?

2. I'm a complete noob at carbureted bikes. Took the carbs off and rebuilt/cleaned them. I didn't replace any of the jets, but I did take them out and blow them out with compressed air. After re-installing them, there is clearly something not right. Because of problem #1, there is a constant flow of fuel. This causes fuel to run out of the right (carb w/ petcock vacuum hose) side carb and into the airbox. Is this supposed to do this because of problem #1?

Thanks for any help!

Item 1 is best solved with new petcock- repairing seems to have poor success. Try Z-1 enterprises- maybe $50?????
    Item 2 means your carb cleaning work was inadequate- even with constant flowing petcock, the carb float/shutoff valve can hold back the fuel for a while. Follow the link to Basscliff's site and review carb cleaning. Taking shortcuts will lead to frustration. This is very common problem on recently acquired bikes, so read up.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. waphill,

You have discovered what we all have learned here; rebuilding a vacuum operated petcock is a 50-50 proposition at best. New OEM parts almost always work best. They are expensive. Z1enterprises.com has replacements at a more reasonable price but the nipples might be located differently. Or you could go with a manual petcock from Pingle. If you go the manual route, you MUST turn off the petcock every time you turn off the engine or you risk filling your crankcase with gasoline and diluting your oil.

See the links below for the proper way to clean and rebuild your carbs using an O-ring kit from cycleorings.com. Please read carefully all of the information in the links below. It will save you lots of time, money, and frustration.

Anyway, let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
        Item 1 is best solved with new petcock- repairing seems to have poor success. Try Z-1 enterprises- maybe $50?????
        Item 2 means your carb cleaning work was inadequate- even with constant flowing petcock, the carb float/shutoff valve can hold back the fuel for a while. Follow the link to Basscliff's site and review carb cleaning. Taking shortcuts will lead to frustration. This is very common problem on recently acquired bikes, so read up.
        +1 on the above.

A genuine Suzuki fuel tap is available brand new from Boulevard Suzuki for $75.13.
        1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
        1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

While stumbling on ebay, I found this Ohio seller ;
          ebay item#190618768134- looks like it would work for lots of suzukis, but he has others. $64 delivered
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Unfortunately, I don't believe any of these new ones will fit the 250. It must not ba a popular model! The ebay link appears to be the same petcocks available from Z1 and CRC. I don't think it will fit because the fuel inlet on my petcock is not centered between the 2 screws. It is offset to one side. I believe I would have to take a dremel to the hole on the fuel tank.

The Suzuki part# I'm looking to replace is 44300-44250, which is not listed on either website.

Thanks for the link, there is a wealth of information!

Looks like I'll be pulling the carbs back off and trying it again.

Another question: Do the seats from the GS's interchange with each other? More specifically, will another model's seat fit on the GS250? The stock seat is a "stepped" one, and I would like to find one that is flatter.

Thanks for the great help! I'll post some pics and vids when I get her going properly.

Comment

OK, try suzukipartshouse.com... they might have it- pricey ($83 plus), but you'll never need another!
              1981 gs650L

Comment

Originally posted by waphill View Post
                Unfortunately, I don't believe any of these new ones will fit the 250. It must not ba a popular model! The ebay link appears to be the same petcocks available from Z1 and CRC. I don't think it will fit because the fuel inlet on my petcock is not centered between the 2 screws. It is offset to one side. I believe I would have to take a dremel to the hole on the fuel tank.

The Suzuki part# I'm looking to replace is 44300-44250, which is not listed on either website.

Thanks for the link, there is a wealth of information!

Looks like I'll be pulling the carbs back off and trying it again.

Another question: Do the seats from the GS's interchange with each other? More specifically, will another model's seat fit on the GS250? The stock seat is a "stepped" one, and I would like to find one that is flatter.

Thanks for the great help! I'll post some pics and vids when I get her going properly.
                What type of 250 do you have? Is it a T or something different?

What I found with the 450's is that a lot of things on the T and L's interchange, but the E and S models have different frame mountings for things and the rear of the frame is a bit longer so the T and L stuff doesn't fit.

I would imagine a similiar situation exists for the 250's...

sigpic

Comment

According to the side panel, it is a T. They could've been swapped throughout the years, though.

The Suzuki parts fiche, only lists a 250TX from '81.

Comment

Interesting... I think the GSX250's only started from 83 or something now that you mention it...

sigpic

Comment

hope y'all like pics

The carbs

As you can see, they're pretty spotless. Any ideas on what specifically might be plugged that would cause fuel to runneth over?

Here's how she sits now. Got it for $400. 100% complete and original. 12K miles. It was running when I bought it, but it was very sluggish. Stock mufflers were rusted through. Hoping to get it in tip top shape before spring.

Comment

Originally posted by waphill View Post
                        Unfortunately,The Suzuki part# I'm looking to replace is 44300-44250, which is not listed on either website.
                        Fortunately it is listed in the Boulevard Suzuki Web-site.
                        You can do a reverse search with the part number alone.

Click on the link, scroll down and you see it. $75 and change. I think this will be your best option. I believe that to be the case after the many frustrating hours I've spent rebuilding petcocks.
                        sigpic
                        Steve
                        "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

waphill said "As you can see, they're pretty spotless. Any ideas on what specifically might be plugged that would cause fuel to runneth over"

I don't think the runneth over is caused by plugging- more likely the needle seat and/or o-ring on float valve is worn and not able to hold back the fuel from your petcock problem.
                          1981 gs650L

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
                            Fortunately it is listed in the Boulevard Suzuki Web-site.
                            You can do a reverse search with the part number alone.

Click on the link, scroll down and you see it. $75 and change. I think this will be your best option. I believe that to be the case after the many frustrating hours I've spent rebuilding petcocks.
                            http://www.boulevardsuzuki.com/fiche...er=44300-44250
                            Yup, that's the one I pointed out earlier... Suzuki replaces part numbers as they progress through different revisions of the same part, so the original part number quite often is superceded by a new one which is 100% interchangeable with the original.

Thanks Steve, I forgot Boulevard had the reverse lookup

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the help on the petcock! I'll definitely be ordering one of those from Boulevard.

Comment

Working...
                              X