petcock hose fell out 1979 GS1000L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

petcock hose fell out 1979 GS1000L

So I am riding home on my newly acquired 1979 GS1000L, 65mph down the highway when suddenly my left leg is bathed in gasoline! Safely braking to the shoulder, I discover the petcock appears to be broken. The lower knurled right angled piece to which the hose is attached going I assume to the carburetors has popped out of the petcock body! I slip it back in and nervously complete the trip home without this reoccurring.
    I do now have a small leak from this, and am concerned the petcock has failed; while this appears to be a piece that may be designed to slide in and out, that seems to make no sense as there's nothing to hold it in place. So... i appear to be in need of a replacement.
    An hour or so of cruising the forums, following links, and utilizing the magic of google, shows me ZERO aftermarket (pingel, z1, etc) specifically matched to this bike. (ok, 1, at $300)
    Any wisdom, instruction, guidance?
    THANKS
    Rick

Part 15 and 16. Don't forget the o ring.

Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
    Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
    1983 GS 750

Comment

Originally posted by bccap View Post
      Part 15 and 16. Don't forget the o ring.

http://www.boulevardsuzuki.com/fiche...1979&fveh=2147
      Done and done! Don't monkey with gasoline inches from your crotch.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Very cool; thank you!

Comment

I would also get the two self sealing washers for the bolts that hold the petcock to the tank, number 18. Even if you don't need them, it's good to have a spare set.
          sigpic
          Steve
          "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
            I would also get the two self sealing washers for the bolts that hold the petcock to the tank, number 18. Even if you don't need them, it's good to have a spare set.
            Ditto.
            If a new petcock is going to leak, that is the place.
            (Often over-looked special washer/gasket.)

Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
              Ditto.
              If a new petcock is going to leak, that is the place.
              (Often over-looked special washer/gasket.)

Daniel
              Actually I think he lucked out. $75 and change for a new OEM petcock for the '79 GS1000 L model, $254 and change for the '78-'79 GS1000C and E models.
              sigpic
              Steve

Comment

petcock mounting bolt seals

Yeah; despite my relative lack of mechanical aptitude i tend to be pretty good about making sure that I have things sealed well. thanks for the advice on the bolt seals.

Rick

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. RickW,

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Actually I think he lucked out. $75 and change for a new OEM petcock for the '79 GS1000 L model, $254 and change for the '78-'79 GS1000C and E models.
                    I don't get it. Why a 300% difference in price ?
                    Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
                    Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
                    1983 GS 750

Comment

Well thank you for the warm welcome! Tis a blessing to step out in a little humility and say "I don't know what I'm doing" and get some positive feedback...
                      This appears to be a nicer place than many other forums
                      Rick

Comment

Originally posted by bccap View Post
                        I don't get it. Why a 300% difference in price ?
                        I don't either, I don't set the prices, but that's what we're dealing with.
                        The only difference I can see is the location of the fuel hoses.
                        sigpic
                        Steve

Comment

79 L petcock is an odd duck.. no prime position, takes a different kit.
                          I have no clue why the L got a different unit.
                          Last edited by Guest; 01-07-2012, 03:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X