Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone running a fuel cell under a tank shell?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone running a fuel cell under a tank shell?

My tank keeps leaking and I'm tired of it. I'm at the point that I would rather gut the tank and run a fuel cell under it...I could hide a lot of my electronics that way, anyway. I know I wouldn't get have the capacity out of the tank, but as it is I lose have my fuel through leaking an heat-induced evaporation anyway.

Recommend trying KBS coatings system
    Diesel Tank Sealer. Gas Tank Sealer. Fiberglass Tank Sealer. Gas Tank Liner. Used by professionals worldwide, Gold Standard Fuel Tank Sealer is a superior, one part, ready-to-use fuel tank sealer that is specifically formulated to stop rust and corrosion.

I've done 4 tanks with their products and have never had one leak. Polyurethane coating is what they use in many modern aircraft. This is much better than Kreem, but it is a week long process to do it right.

But.... I'm curious what you have found for fuel cells. I have a Harley with an fiberglass copy of an XLCR tank, but the fiberglass tank makes me very uncomfortable. Can't get a steel XLCR tank, and when good ones do come up, they tend to go for more than $1000. What have you found for fuel cells?

Comment

Find a good used tank. They're not all that expensive for your bike.

Comment

To further illustrate my problem...the stock tank does not fit around my engine. I need a tank with a little different stance. So I use a '79-era tank. But the petcock has to be relocated to do this, and that is where my leak is.

Poly coatings really bug me, Ajay...I've spent too many days scraping Kreem out of gone-wrong tanks to ever really trust it no matter what anyone says about the stuff...but I'll look into it.

Comment

Originally posted by makenzie71 View Post
          To further illustrate my problem...the stock tank does not fit around my engine. I need a tank with a little different stance. So I use a '79-era tank. But the petcock has to be relocated to do this, and that is where my leak is.
          Simple solution... Move the engine!

Comment

I'm actually trying to keep it moving.

Comment

Originally posted by makenzie71 View Post

Poly coatings really bug me, Ajay...I've spent too many days scraping Kreem out of gone-wrong tanks to ever really trust it no matter what anyone says about the stuff...but I'll look into it.
              The correct tank for the model year won't fit on the frame and clear the engine? That sounds odd, but you're the one building it and know the details....

Understand about Kreem - I hate the stuff. The KBS is a full kit with cleaner, etchant/primer, and coating. I'm not sure anything short of MEK would get rid of it once you're done.

Making a new plate mount for a Suzuki vacuum-controlled petcock and welding it in should not be that hard. Certainly easier than figuring out how to integrate a fuel cell with a tank shell.

If the tank you've got has a pipe-thread bung and a screw-on or screw-in petcock that's leaking, look for a product called Locktite PST. It's a little hard to find, but it will seal threads with gas and it doesn't harden. Amazing stuff.
              Last edited by Guest; 01-03-2012, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X