float bowl overflowing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

float bowl overflowing

Got may '77 GS750 all back together after complete carb clean. Synched the carbs, set the idle etc...it runs great. Took it for a short test ride and notice strong gas smell when stopped. #3 carb is pouring gas out of the overflow. I tapped on the float bowl with a wrench and it stopped. Rode home and when I got there the same carb is loosing gas again. Again I tap with wrench and it stopped.

Now I have the carbs of the bike yet again and have the float bowl off of #3. I can't see anything unusual about the float needle or seat but I don't want to put is all back together without being sure its fixed.

Any ideas what to look for that would cause the needle to hang up?

BTW I am getting tired of the smell of gasoline.

Brian

sounds like the float or something is getting hung up or sticking if it stops when you tap it.

Comment

Cradget

Originally posted by gssuzukixxx View Post
      Got may '77 GS750 all back together after complete carb clean. Synched the carbs, set the idle etc...it runs great. Took it for a short test ride and notice strong gas smell when stopped. #3 carb is pouring gas out of the overflow. I tapped on the float bowl with a wrench and it stopped. Rode home and when I got there the same carb is loosing gas again. Again I tap with wrench and it stopped.

Now I have the carbs of the bike yet again and have the float bowl off of #3. I can't see anything unusual about the float needle or seat but I don't want to put is all back together without being sure its fixed.

Any ideas what to look for that would cause the needle to hang up?

BTW I am getting tired of the smell of gasoline.

Brian
      I had a similar issue with #4, ended up being a very small cradget inside the float needle valve seat. Could also check to make sure the float has good free action on the float pin.

It the float is really bent, it could bind when you put the bowl on.

You could check the float needle by moving it to another carb and see if the problem follows.

Comment

Do you still have a vacuum operated petcock connected to #3 carb? If so, test petcock, to make sure fuel is not dribbling down the vac line and filling the carb.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
          Do you still have a vacuum operated petcock connected to #3 carb? If so, test petcock, to make sure fuel is not dribbling down the vac line and filling the carb.
          Good thought but no I have a manual petcock that at least I can trust to shut the gas off in these situations.

In fact it is a way to limp home if the carb won't stop overflowing: if I shut the petcock off I can ride 3 or 4 block before bike runs out of gas.

Brian

Comment

Sound like a sticking, binding float, or needle valve, I mean when you said you hit it and it stopped, that pretty much convinces me. I'd be focusing in that area.
            sigpic
            Steve
            "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

could be a float height issue in that one carbs too..Find the 8 valve manual and recheck all your settings and remeber you have to set both sides of the floats in each carb.

MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice. Here is a front view of the floats. I can see now that they are not both vertical and they are not both the same height (right side is 1mm higher than left). The left one is most twisted...maybe the top of it contacts the side of the float bowl.

Chuck here is a pic of the bike in question. I figured it my look familiar to you.

Comment

Yeah ive seen EVERY nut, bolt, and washer on one of those..LMAO. Straighten the floats so they are not leaning and reset the float hts. I would recheck every carb while you got them off..another 20 minutes just for piece of mind. Love that Pearl Black Bluing. Probably one of the nicest Zook colors ever in my opinion.
                  1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Take a pen light and look in the float seats and be sure they are clean and smooth...look at the points on the float needles and be sure the little spring loaded thing on the tops is loose and springing back as well. AND..be sure you have the gaskets on all the float seats as this will effect the distance before the needle contacts the seat surfaces.

Last edited by chuck hahn; 01-09-2012, 06:14 PM.

Comment

OK I straightned out the float and checked fuel height on bench. Put it all back together and took ride around block. No overflow so hopefully it's fixed.

Will see in spring when i can do more riding.

Thanks for the help

Brian

Comment

Working...
                      X