Hard to start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hard to start

Suzuki '81 GS650G: I'm having a "hard to start" problem. I got to use VERY often an start fluid. If I ride it the day before I'm able to start the bike in the morning (today was an exception). But if I stay off the bike a couple of days I got to use the fluid. If I turn the gas petcock clockwise I'm suppose to prime the carburetors (counterclockwise you go on reserve). I think that for some reason the gas inside the carburetors is evaporating. I got the bike w/ K&N air cleaners. Any help?

If Basscliff hasn't been along with a welcome, he will soon. His site will be full of lots of info. to get and keep you going. If you haven't done a valve adjustment, do that first. If the carbs. haven't been torn apart,soaked and cleaned, o-rings inside replaced you will need to do that, step by step instructions on Basscliff's site. Then get them synced and adjust the mixture screws using highest rpm method and you should be good to go. Know it sounds like alot,but it really is not too bad and you'll be so happy you did. terrylee

Comment

What he said, the hard starting is usually the first symptom of valves which are too tight.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

hard to start

Thanks very much, I have all of the Bailcliff info. Yes, I know that I'll have to do a carb job.

Comment

Where do you live Raul? You might want to put that in your profile in case others are close enough to help.
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

hard to start

I live in Miami, FL

Comment

Originally posted by Raulmanny50 View Post
              I'm having a "hard to start" problem. I got to use VERY often an start fluid.
              Please, ... GET RID OF THE STARTING FLUID!!!
              Adjust your valves, clean your carbs and your bike will start VERY easily.

If I turn the gas petcock clockwise I'm suppose to prime the carburetors (counterclockwise you go on reserve). I think that for some reason the gas inside the carburetors is evaporating.
              Unless you have a very goofy clock, turning the petcock clockwise (so the little lever is pointing forward), will put it in the REServe position.

Turning it counter-clockwise (so the little lever is pointing backward) will put it in PRIme mode.

I got the bike w/ K&N air cleaners. Any help?
              I am assuming that you have not had the bike very long, so will just emphasize some of the stuff in BassCliff's list of "must-do" items.
              Running K&N pods (or any other brand) instead of the stock airbox WILL require re-jetting on the carbs.
              Since you are going to remove the carbs to clean them and install new o-rings, check your jet sizes to make sure they are larger than stock.

Are you running stock exhaust? If not, you will need larger jets for that, too.

There are NO shortcuts. Anything you do to save a bit of time or money will require you to come back and do it again, but correctly.
              Make it easy on yourself and listen to what is being suggested, your bike will be up and screaming in no time.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I live in Miami, FL
                Starting fliud in Miami? surprised they sell it. Anyways, is bike new to you and/or do you understand proper "choke" operation (actually a fuel enrichment system)? From cold start, pull up knob all the way (hold it up if you have to) and press starter button- my same bike will start instantly even after a week of sitting. Neglected maintenance will make life difficult.
                1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
                X