VM float height - 24mm?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VM float height - 24mm?

I've searched Google and the forums, as well as read over Nessisms guide and I've found varying answers about float height on my VM carbs from my 79 550. I'm leaning towards trusting Nessisms guide, which states 24mm for float height but my overflows were pouring gas very rapidly at that float height. Can anyone with a GS550 running VM carbs confirm this as the correct float height?

Originally posted by Pendulum View Post
    I've searched Google and the forums, as well as read over Nessisms guide and I've found varying answers about float height on my VM carbs from my 79 550. I'm leaning towards trusting Nessisms guide, which states 24mm for float height but my overflows were pouring gas very rapidly at that float height. Can anyone with a GS550 running VM carbs confirm this as the correct float height?
    I believe 24mm is correct, at least it is for larger models. I think it is plus or minus 1mm, so you shouldn't be spilling fuel. Probably a bit of crud causing float system to stick, or worn seats/needle valve? Ray
    "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
    GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
    1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
    1979 GS1000SN The new hope
    1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

Have you looked in the Suzuki service manual on Basscliff's site? It has that setting in there.
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

That's about as helpful as this link. Like my OP says, I've Googled, searched here, and read the Nessism guide for the VM carbs.

Originally posted by Ghostgs1 View Post
          I believe 24mm is correct, at least it is for larger models. I think it is plus or minus 1mm, so you shouldn't be spilling fuel. Probably a bit of crud causing float system to stick, or worn seats/needle valve? Ray
          I foolishly used the needle from the rebuild kits, so I'll put the OEM ones back in. That was my next assumption once I verified the height. Also, I previously had the floats at 22mm and had overflow at that height so I'm really leaning towards the float valve needles. I assumed that it was the one part of the rebuild kits that "couldn't possibly be made wrong." I guess I was mistaken lol.

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
          Have you looked in the Suzuki service manual on Basscliff's site? It has that setting in there.
          I had previously looked through the manual, and was unable to find the info. I just went through it again and found it under the GS550L section, page 182. 24mm +/- 1mm it is! Thanks for the heads up.

Looks like I'll be swapping the needles tonight. How the hell did K&L mess them up? It's a spring inside a piece of metal!!!

Any other ideas, assuming I swap the needles and they still leak?
          Last edited by Guest; 01-09-2012, 01:48 PM.

Comment

You bet its usefull smartazz..your bike is like the 4th or 5th one down in the service manuals list...read the service manual and youll have your friggin answer!!!!!!
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I just rebuilt the carbs on my '77 GS750. I used the clear plastic tube attached to the bowl drain to show the fuel level as I adjusted the levels.

In order to get a fuel level of 2.5-3mm below the bowl mating surface I had to set the floats at 26-27mm above the bowl surface with gasket in place.

Brian

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                You bet its usefull smartazz..your bike is like the 4th or 5th one down in the service manuals list...read the service manual and youll have your friggin answer!!!!!!

Considering the fact that I had mentioned, in my 1st post, that I'd already taken a look at the carb rebuild guide found on that site, one could reasonably assume that I was well aware of Cliffs site. Instead of giving an extremely vague and cryptic answer, you could have suggested that I try the service manual or you could have just not answered.

Also, if you had read the rest of my post where I responded to the other posts in this thread, you'll see that I had already looked through that manual. In fact, I've looked it over at least 10 times now. I found the info I needed by looking in the "L" portion of the manual, which I had previously skipped over because I don't have a GS550L. Based on the suggestion by cowboyup, I looked over the manual closer and found my answer.

I wasn't trying to p|ss in anyones Cheerios, but your response to my question seemed like a smartass response.

Originally posted by gssuzukixxx View Post
                I just rebuilt the carbs on my '77 GS750. I used the clear plastic tube attached to the bowl drain to show the fuel level as I adjusted the levels.

In order to get a fuel level of 2.5-3mm below the bowl mating surface I had to set the floats at 26-27mm above the bowl surface with gasket in place.

Brian
                Thanks. I'm assuming you used a fitting that threads into the bowl and has a barb for a hose on the other end?
                Last edited by Guest; 01-09-2012, 02:52 PM.

Comment

Brian
                  The above statement may not be applicable because I am running float needles and seats from a rebuild kit...not stock Suzuki.

At any rate I highly recommend setting the actual fuel level using the clear tubing method rather than depending on float height setting.

Comment

The above statement may not be applicable because I am running float needles and seats from a rebuild kit...not stock Suzuki.

At any rate I highly recommend setting the actual fuel level using the clear tubing method rather than depending on float height setting.
                    I'm going to pick up some clear tubing tomorrow or maybe tonight. Thanks for the heads up. Your measurement of 26-27 seems about right, since the gasket is going to be 1-2mm thick.

Comment

The manual says to measure from the raised ridge on the carb body..WITHOUT A GASKET in place.

Comment

Hi,

If you don't want to read the manual, you'll find the number you need in this chart.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
                        Last edited by Guest; 01-09-2012, 08:29 PM.

Comment

Yanno, it's increasingly irritating to me when people who have obviously searched, perhaps not in the correct way or using the right terminology or what have you, but have obviously looked through the manual and made a reasonable effort to find the info they're looking for, and then turn to the board for help (I mean that's wtf this place is here for) and are met with smart assed answers or read the manual posts or the like by people who not too long ago posted the same damn questions and couldn't tell a float needle from a pilot jet.

It really sucks.

Comment

And it equally sucks when someone posts a link and are told its as useless as whatever else...try and help and its thrown back in the guys face.
                            Last edited by chuck hahn; 01-09-2012, 09:54 PM.

Comment

The manual says to measure from the raised ridge on the carb body..WITHOUT A GASKET in place.
                              I've been measuring without a gasket, but was measuring from the non-raised spot. Everything I read said "gasket mating surface." Thanks for clearing that up, I'll adjust accordingly in a few minutes.

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                              Hi,

If you don't want to read the manual, you'll find the number you need in this chart.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
                              Thanks Cliff. It's not that I didn't want to read, it's just that I was looking in the wrong spot in the manual. I found it thanks to a suggestion on pg 1.

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                              Yanno, it's increasingly irritating to me when people who have obviously searched, perhaps not in the correct way or using the right terminology or what have you, but have obviously looked through the manual and made a reasonable effort to find the info they're looking for, and then turn to the board for help (I mean that's wtf this place is here for) and are met with smart assed answers or read the manual posts or the like by people who not too long ago posted the same damn questions and couldn't tell a float needle from a pilot jet.

It really sucks.
                              It is what it is. I'm grateful for the knowledge and help, and understand why people don't like spoon-feeding info. Hell, I don't even like spoon-feeding info. My only gripe is that sometimes it seems like people don't read anything but the 1st post, and assume that I haven't searched.

And it equally sucks when someone posts a link and are told its as useless as whatever else...try and help and its thrown back in the guys face.
                              I thought we cleared that up. Like I said in my other post: To me, you put off a smart ass vibe be posting a link to a site that I have obviously already looked to for info. If that wasn't your attention, then I apologize. The reason I compared Cliffs site to Google in terms of usefulness was because I'd already looked over both extensively, and was unable to find the info. Both sites are great tools and full of info. However, unless you know EXACTLY where to look, it can be very hard to find certain pieces of information. A 4 character piece of text, in a PDF that's hundreds of pages long and unsearchable, is kinda hard to find. If you want to discuss this further, please PM me.

BACK ON TOPIC:

I pulled all 4 bowls, and I guess I did use the stock/Mikuni needles because the needles are still in the carb kit baggies. It's been a few weeks since I rebuilt these so I was mistaken. The needles have a bit of surface rust that wasn't present before the initial tear down, and I just tested the floats in a pan of water. All 4 float perfectly. Something I did notice was that if I put one of needles from the rebuild kits in, the float sat at a way different angle. I'm at a loss for what could cause this, and I'm going to readjust float height by measuring from the raised rib on the carb body as Chuck suggested, and go from there.

Comment

Working...
                              X