No announcement yet.

VM float height - 24mm?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm glad to hear you are coming along and hope you'll have it sorted soon.

Good luck
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Thanks! I'm going to reset the floats using the raised rib to measure form and try again. If they're still overflowing, I'm shipping them to chef. fml.

Comment

Hi,

Yes, just because I've answered the same question hundreds of times doesn't mean I should smart off to someone who has asked it for the first time. I'm sorry.

Here's a page on my little website that might have some helpful information.

Carb Specs:
        Float Height/Jetting/Tuning

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Pen, check the new float needles against the old ones.
          The VMcarbs and BScarbs used different length needles, and because of that your float levels will be incorrect if you swap them out and don't adjust, or if you mix and match. If somehow you've been sent the wrong ones (very likely, those kits aren't the best quality honestly..) or whatever, that could be part of if not all of your issue.

Comment

Me and you are fine..I was responding to Joshs poke in my ribs..I know what he was referring to..anyways, this is how you should measure..from that little raised rib inside the carb body to the tops of the floats..

Last edited by chuck hahn; 01-10-2012, 11:08 AM.
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
              Hi,

Yes, just because I've answered the same question hundreds of times doesn't mean I should smart off to someone who has asked it for the first time. I'm sorry.

Here's a page on my little website that might have some helpful information.

Carb Specs:
              Float Height/Jetting/Tuning

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
              I know a lot of you guys that have been here for a bit have answered the same things over and over and over. And over. lol

Thanks.

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
              Pen, check the new float needles against the old ones.
              The VMcarbs and BScarbs used different length needles, and because of that your float levels will be incorrect if you swap them out and don't adjust, or if you mix and match. If somehow you've been sent the wrong ones (very likely, those kits aren't the best quality honestly..) or whatever, that could be part of if not all of your issue.
              I'm 99% sure I have the stock/OEM/original/Mikuni needle valves. I'll try to get some pics posted.

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
              Me and you are fine..I was responding to Joshs poke in my ribs..I know what he was referring to..anyways, this is how you should measure..from that little raised rib inside the carb body to the tops of the floats..

I re-measured using this method last night. My gf was pestering me to come to bed, so I'm going to test tonight.

Thanks guys. I'm determined to figure this out, and I'll keep you updated. If anyone else has issues like this in the future, at least they'll be able to read through my mess : /

Comment

Actually Chuck, I was making a broad generalization. There are plenty of us, including myself, who get irritated with answering the same questions over and over again, especially when people don't bother to try to help themselves first or at all. But I'm trying, as part of a personal "new years resolution" I guess, to be more understanding, and I just think that as a collective sometimes we need to stop and think that some people may not have the experience a lot of us have or the understanding before we go off half cocked. That's all.
                If I'd been balled out the way I have seen some newbies have when I joined, I wouldn't be here.

Comment

Yeah ..I laid in bed thinking about it and said a few prayers myself asking for the brain to engage faster than the mouth and attitude. I really really try hard to help based on my.."I had that happen and this is what i did" kind of experience. I will never claim to know all or have a better solution than anyone else. There are many ways to solve problems on these bikes and we all need each others COLLECTIVE experiences at some time or another. When i posted the link i was just adding to the suggestion to go to Cliffs and see what the manual said..kin da providing a little short cut.
                  1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

So Pendullum...you said it had stopped leaking and you would see if it holds. What exactly did you find and fix? Is it still not leaking? I now have to drain the oil in my Hondamatic and pull the airbox and all the plugs to get the engine drained of gas. The Honda doesnt have a vacuum operated petcock..simple gravity on or off arrangemnet. Take a guess at what position I left the petcock in the last time I rode it!!! Now its my turn to have plate full of crow!!!

Comment

So Pendullum...you said it had stopped leaking and you would see if it holds. What exactly did you find and fix? Is it still not leaking? I now have to drain the oil in my Hondamatic and pull the airbox and all the plugs to get the engine drained of gas. The Honda doesnt have a vacuum operated petcock..simple gravity on or off arrangemnet. Take a guess at what position I left the petcock in the last time I rode it!!! Now its my turn to have plate full of crow!!!

Done that myself once. At least it was only an 80cc single cylinder dirt bike lol

I'm not sure if it's stopped leaking or not, but I'm going to test tonight. If all else fails, they whole mess is being sent off the chef. I've had this bike torn apart for far too long, and it's starting to warm up again. Perfect riding weather starts right now in AZ and I'm not going to miss it.

Comment

Just got done testing (finally). I took each needle valve and its seat, threaded them into a fuel line and ran water through the line. I had no leaks, and made sure to keep each needle and seat together. Put them back in the carbs, verified float height (all are @ 24mm unless I don't know how to measure), and now I've got 3 of the 4 to not leak! Carb #2 is still overflowing. I'm going to swap floats between carbs 2 and 3, and see if the overflow follows the float from 2 to 3. If so, then it's got to be the float, right?

Comment

Even though you might actually get them all exactly at 24mm, do yourself a favor and take the extra step to measure the actual fuel level by using the clear tube on the outside of the carb.

Like someone else said, their floats ended up at 26 or 27mm, instead of 24, but it's that actual fuel level that matters, not where the foats are.

Setting the float height will get you into the ballpark, getting the fuel level right is the home run.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                            Even though you might actually get them all exactly at 24mm, do yourself a favor and take the extra step to measure the actual fuel level by using the clear tube on the outside of the carb.

Like someone else said, their floats ended up at 26 or 27mm, instead of 24, but it's that actual fuel level that matters, not where the foats are.

Setting the float height will get you into the ballpark, getting the fuel level right is the home run.

I don't think the Autozone near me has clear fuel hose. I'll look for some though.

Hypothetically, if I end up with one carb at 27mm and the others at 24mm, will this affect drivability, tuning, etc?

Comment

Working...
                            X