• Time
  • Show
Clear All

About Carb Balancing & tuning the Fuel/Air Screws

Hiya,

Should i Balance the Carbs before Tuning the Fuel & Air Screws

or

Should i tune the Fuel & Air Screws & then balance the carbs

I just need to know the correct order ??

Thank you,

Rain Man

Best to do the sync first as that affects the mixture...
    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Some of the purists might disagree and I've been anal about it in the past but it doesn't matter really - as long as everything is in the right ball park to start with. From a practical point of view though I would set the fuel screws first, when the carbs are off the bike, as they are tricky to get at.
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
        Some of the purists might disagree and I've been anal about it in the past but it doesn't matter really - as long as everything is in the right ball park to start with. From a practical point of view though I would set the fuel screws first, when the carbs are off the bike, as they are tricky to get at.
        I agree. Set the fuel screws to the correct setting, do a GOOD bench sync on the rack and put them on the bike. Never know... might get lucky and not have to touch them again.

Happened that way on my 850.

Second time in my life that it has happened.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
          I agree. Set the fuel screws to the correct setting, do a GOOD bench sync on the rack and put them on the bike. Never know... might get lucky and not have to touch them again.

Happened that way on my 850.

Second time in my life that it has happened.
          I synch them first, and tweak the fuel screws and air screws as it is running, as the factory settings are rarely perfect. Once I am done with all of the adjustments and happy with how it runs, I check the synch again. It usually hasn't changed much unless the air screws were moved a lot.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I bench synced to factory (mixture screws) but they were way off.
            I also did a really really good bench sync, but vacum sync showed that it was terrible!

You need something thats good enough to get the bike running!
            Good luck.

Comment

I don't do much with VM carbs , but I will pre-set the mixture screws to allow the bike to start and run, then check the sync, then fine-tune the mixtures, all while the sync gauges are still connected. I will re-check sync before putting the gauges away, but have not had to re-sync them yet.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I left the Morgan carbtune hooked up while I adjusted the screws. She runs true and idles smooth at 1100. Sync for the most part is independent of mix. One is about lean or rich idle. The other its about how much it sucks... er ... you know what I meant.

Comment

Ok Guys, thanx for the info

I will Balance the carbs first & then Fine tune the Fuel & Air Screws.

The bike should start ok, as i have not touched the Fuel & Air Screws.

Anyways, thanx again,

Rain Man

Comment

Working...
                  X