petcock question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

petcock question

occasionally my petcock leaks flooding the engine. my question is; if I set the lever between settings, like between on an reserve, will this still happen?

it really only happens when there are extreme temp changes, like the 50 degree days and 20 degree nights ive been experiencing lateley.

Originally posted by whiterabbitt View Post
    occasionally my petcock leaks flooding the engine. my question is; if I set the lever between settings, like between on an reserve, will this still happen?

it really only happens when there are extreme temp changes, like the 50 degree days and 20 degree nights ive been experiencing lateley.
    These buggers are notoriously tricky to fix - buy a new one.
    -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Cold weather can shrink the rubber parts inside your petcock causing a leak.
      In particular there's a rubber gasket, more like an specialized O ring, these get hard
      brittle and often cause leaks, I've had a couple fail because of age.
      It's item number 3 on this parts fiche, but replacing that doesn't guarantee it will stop leaking.
      You can still get a new OEM petcock for $75 and change from Boulevard Suzuki.
      sigpic
      Steve
      "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

Originally posted by allojohn View Post
        These buggers are notoriously tricky to fix - buy a new one.
        X2

Less than $60 US to your front door. Tis the FIRST thing I order when picking up a "new" bike.

Best money you'll spend on the bike.

Comment

You can give your petcock a mechanical "off" position, search the archives.
          It takes a little grinding, no big deal.
          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
          X