No announcement yet.

Odd oil appearing in carb.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, there are a few recommendations that make a lot of sense, but it sounds like you're diving into the head without even doing a compression check?

1. You haven't said if you've confirmed whether it is oil or gas. I read the pod filter was smoking a bit - sounds like that filter may have been simply been sprayed with too much oil.

2. You haven't done a compression test. (If you have good, consistent compression across all cylinders, the clearances/seating would be generally fine.)

3. Hows the engine run? Sound like its running on all 3? Is that cylinders exhaust pipe heating up like the others when it's running?

If you just feel like tearing the head off and checking/adjusting valve clearances, that's fine too.
    Last edited by gs scott; 01-28-2012, 08:18 AM.
    Scott
    1982 GS1000S #1 bought in 84, #2 gone, #3 in hibernation
    1983 GS1100ES #1 (bought in 03, July 09 BOM, 65k traded in 17), #2 New daily rider, #3 in hibernation
    1982 GS1100E Red #1 - Original owner, sold in 93, #2 (Red) sold in 20 to Andy B
    2018 Gold Wing Tour - new out of the crate 1st non-Suzuki in 38 years
    sigpic

Comment

its definitely oil, the bike runs on all 3 cylinders and my buddy said all three exhaust pipes get really hot. from what he told me it runs pretty well, he was able to ride around without much hesitation or stumbling, but it was still present... the air filters are brand new K&N pre-oiled pods, and besides, over-oiled pods wouldn't explain motor oil in the carbs. so i dont believe thats the issue...

if i can pull the head off without removing the motor than that's definitely what I'll do, i just really don't want to have to pull out the motor, im planning on testing the compression but simply dont have the tools yet... in the meantime im going to go with my gut and replace the valve seals, i already have the new seals and im sure it could use it anyway...

now for the stupid questions... I've never done valve work nor have i pulled a head, anyone know of a good write up i can refer to? I've google'd around a bit but haven't found anything useful so far... if i have to I'll just dive in there and learn hands on, but i would like to gain a little knowledge prior to tearing the top end apart, also, beside replacing the obvious gaskets what else do i have to replace/adjust during this whole process? do i have to do anything with the pistons? what about the timing chain?

sorry about all the questions but ive just never done any of this before, its also my best buds bike and the last thing i want to tell him is that i accidentally trashed his motor and dont know how to fix it... heres a pic of the motor, please let me know if you think there is enough clearance to pull the head off...

Thanks again everybody...
      Sincerely,
      ~Nate

Comment

heres another picture of the valves, let me know if you see anything i should pay special attention to...

Comment

blowby pcv system

Hi,
          I dont know specifically about the triple yammi, but I have two xs11s and they are the same cylinder as your triple. I would not do anything with tearing into the valve system, until you are absolutely sure of ,, plug color,,compression,,, and the pcv system for those carbs /airboxes. Who knows, you may have an oddball po replacement item in there thats not hooked up right. You need a manual before you do anything, and join the yammi list to find out the specifics of what you should have as a pcv system. Ive heard of airboxes on xs11 s being switched out by po s, and they arent the same pcv system,, from year to year. If you have individual pipes into the airbox, from the pcv system, make sure the other two arent plugged and forcing all the blowby into that one carb of the system. I would also be sure, that a carb vent , for that carb , isnt hooked up directly to the pcv system, accidentally, since you are talking about pods. Is it possible that pcv is hooked into a carb vent, just on that one carb and all pcv crud is being funnelled just thru that one? That would explain a messy carb if its all being funneled into one, when there should be three different ones hooked up. What about overfilled oil possibilities, blowing excess into the pcv system. What about leaked fuel, in the oil system creating an oily blowby due to bad needle and seat allowing gas into the oil. The way to check for gas in the oil is to stick a stick into the oil, pull it out and smell it, if its at all gassy, then walk fifty feet away, and see if the stick can be lit afire with a match, if it lights, there is likely gasoline overfilling the oil system, and the engine should NOT be run, until the oil is changed. If I were you, I would be talking to the xs 11 list at the very least, or maybe there is a yammi triple list that could give you more specifics.
          Last edited by Guest; 02-07-2012, 02:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X