quits when i hit the throttle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quits when i hit the throttle

The bike is a 1983 Suzuki GS300L. I know you guys will probably know whats wrong. I have heard from a mechanic that you'll fight a motorcycle to the death trying to get it to run without an airbox. I cant seem to find the airbox i bought for this bike so im trying to get it running with what i have available to me at this time. I currently have pods installed from a KZ400. The carburetors are very clean and fuel is being delivered to them with no problems. Kinda seems like fuel starvation but it dies whenever i hit the gas. It will only run on full choke but runs really choppy. Im guessing i need an airbox to run this bike?

Originally posted by Kitten Tooth View Post
    The bike is a 1983 Suzuki GS300L. I know you guys will probably know whats wrong. I have heard from a mechanic that you'll fight a motorcycle to the death trying to get it to run without an airbox. I cant seem to find the airbox i bought for this bike so im trying to get it running with what i have available to me at this time. I currently have pods installed from a KZ400. The carburetors are very clean and fuel is being delivered to them with no problems. Kinda seems like fuel starvation but it dies whenever i hit the gas. It will only run on full choke but runs really choppy. Im guessing i need an airbox to run this bike?
    Your best bet is to find the air box and refit it and with standard jets it should run fine.

Otherwise go up four sizes on the mains and raise the needles the equivalent of a couple of notches, maybe about 0.100". And try a size larger on the pilot. These are only rough settings and then you will have to work it out from there.

Comment

The bike is a 1983 Suzuki GS300L. Im guessing i need an airbox to run this bike?
      Yes, you do need the airbox

Or a lot of tuning
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Yea i found that if i cover the intake like 3/4 of the way with my hand it sort of revs. I found the airbox to carb boots for this bike in with a bunch of parts that i got. Ill just look for a cheap box and throw it in there. Looking at one for 25 bucks right now

Comment

Yea i found that if i cover the intake like 3/4 of the way with my hand it sort of revs. I found the airbox to carb boots for this bike in with a bunch of parts that i got. Ill just look for a cheap box and throw it in there. Looking at one for 25 bucks right now
          BUY IT quick and save a lot of problems.

Comment

Well i found the carb to airbox boots so that'll save me some cash on the new airbox. Still might find it, who knows. Anyways i currently have blue shop towels over the intake sides of the carbs. 3 layers thick with a pipeclamp holding them on. Still runs like poo but it revs now and its probably sorta rideable

Comment

should ( in my experiences on VMs ) two layers of tshirt material to keep her running just a bit rich..as your basically inducing a partial choking situation...which is what the airbox does. the airbox creates a oh so slight choke so the carbs sip the fuel up a bit easier...I may not have stated that in technical terms, but i think you know what i mean. Try 2 layers, you may be over doing it a bit.
              Last edited by chuck hahn; 01-14-2012, 06:28 PM.
              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

ill try the T shirt method today. thanks for the tip dude. I really wanna just go up the street on this thing the clutch cable is broke on my 1000 so i take any chance i get to ride

Comment

Working...
                X