No announcement yet.

another sucker with snapped exhaust bolts - i really did a number

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had the same issue on the '78 GS550. 2 of the bolts snapped off. On one, my son was able to weld a small piece of steel bar on to what was left of the bolt and that worked. I know you said you don't have/own a welder. Ask around, there may be a friend of a friend who can help.
    On the second one, there wasn't enough bolt left to weld to. We drilled out a good amount of the original bolt, maybe leaving about 20% of it. We then used an extractor and SLOWLY took our time and found that by SLOWLY working it in and using a small pair of vise grips on the extractor, we were able to get it to unscrew out.
    However, we accidently buggered up one side of the threads. We used a tap n die set, with the engine still on the bike, and were able to redo the threads.
    My only advice is to go slowly, be patient and some times you just have to walk away for a day and come back to it. Hang in there!!
    sigpic

1974 GT750 ...done, running and sold
    1974 GT550 .... under construction (done and sold)
    1978 GS550........all stock, running (going to do 550/650 build with it)
    1978 GS1000...another project (Given to son #2)
    1982 GS750EZ ...daily driver(given to son#1)
    1982 GS1100G...completed and traded to son #2 for the 750 back
    1982 GS750EZ...daily driver (got it back in trade with son #2)
    1983 GR650 Tempter.... engine rebuild completed (and sold)

Comment

Jersey City is not that far from me.

I have a welder and all the tools.
      The only problem is, I'm probably going to be busy this weekend doing a clutch and other crap

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
        With so many broken bolts you'll have the opportunity to perfect the procedure for the fix.
        thank you. i love this sentiment and have already shared it with a few friends

Comment

Originally posted by 1_v8_merc View Post
          Jersey City is not that far from me.

I have a welder and all the tools.
          The only problem is, I'm probably going to be busy this weekend doing a clutch and other crap
          that's awesome and really kind of you. i will definitely keep that in reserve and i may take you up on your hospitality at a later date for some other upcoming projects if that's cool. i'll send a pm later on.

for the good news, i'm now 3 / 5 done!
          the bike's across the street at my neighbor who happens to be a machinist. while he doesn't have any welding equipment, he does have every drill bit ever made and a nice lift and equipment and a great workspace.

we continued on the drilling out we started last night and i'm pleased to say that 3 of teh 5 have been drilled out and the holes retapped. perhaps not quite as elegant as being able to actually unscrew the bolts, but eff it, they're out and the flanges can attach to 3 exhaust ports!

2 more bolts (both on teh same port) left to tackle. will probably start working on it tomorrow night or sunday. with luck, i might be able to get this all done without pulling the engine or anything. find some studs and never deal with this crap again

until the next time, that is.

anyway, gotta run, just wanted to update. thanks everyone for their words and advice.

cheers,

aaron

Comment

Nice to have good neighbors and friend's.
            I hope that you are planning on repaying his expertise some way.
            Perhaps a good night out for him and his Wife/GF?

Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by the schwartz View Post
              that's awesome and really kind of you. i will definitely keep that in reserve and i may take you up on your hospitality at a later date for some other upcoming projects if that's cool. i'll send a pm later on.

for the good news, i'm now 3 / 5 done!
              the bike's across the street at my neighbor who happens to be a machinist. while he doesn't have any welding equipment, he does have every drill bit ever made and a nice lift and equipment and a great workspace.

we continued on the drilling out we started last night and i'm pleased to say that 3 of teh 5 have been drilled out and the holes retapped. perhaps not quite as elegant as being able to actually unscrew the bolts, but eff it, they're out and the flanges can attach to 3 exhaust ports!

2 more bolts (both on teh same port) left to tackle. will probably start working on it tomorrow night or sunday. with luck, i might be able to get this all done without pulling the engine or anything. find some studs and never deal with this crap again

until the next time, that is.

anyway, gotta run, just wanted to update. thanks everyone for their words and advice.

cheers,

aaron
              Looks like you've found the perfect fix, be sure to keep that friend around
              for awhile! Congrats! It's truly good news, I should be so lucky.
              sigpic
              Steve
              "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

Working...
              X