Help! Exhaust Repair on my "new" 80 GS450

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help! Exhaust Repair on my "new" 80 GS450

I bought a GS 450 in pretty rough shape, and I'm working on the exhaust right now, and it's got some dime size holes that have been rusted through. I plan on fixing those with some of that muffler paste and maybe some flashing. But the exhaust coupler is in real bad shape, completely rusted though on one side where its welded to the exhaust. Should I try to repair it / find a new one, or is it ok to just cut it off and go without it? What does it even do anyways?

Look down these posts for "Scrambler exhaust for gs750"- find pic of Pete's system on his 450- beautiful!
    Your exhaust sounds like a goner, so hunt on ebay for another.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Having a hard time picturing what you are talking about, what "coupler" are you talking about? The joint from the H pipe to the exhaust? Pics please. It does sound like either way it is time for a new exhaust, there is a set on ebay now i think. Start messing with the exhaust and you will have to get into re-jetting and tuning carbs.

Comment

Yes, the joint between the H pipe and the exhaust. I'm trying to avoid having to get a new exhaust if I can. Money is a tight and if I can not have to dish out the $150 for a new exhaust that would be great. If I did get rid of the H pipe, would I have to rejet the carbs?

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
          Look down these posts for "Scrambler exhaust for gs750"- find pic of Pete's system on his 450- beautiful!
          Your exhaust sounds like a goner, so hunt on ebay for another.
          Yeah full credit to Tranzac here for their absolutely awesome work on that Love that exhaust...

Firstimewrench: You can probably patch things up to get you out of trouble. I'm not 100% sure on the purpose of the balance pipe but given there shouldn't be any major change to the actual flow of the exhaust gases I can't see you'd need to rejet as such for that... maybe just a resync of the carbs and revisit the highest idle method to get the mixture screws right.

If it was me and had no budget, I'd rip the balance pipe out, patch up the holes, and give it a shot regardless. If it was me with budget... well you can see what I did already
          1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
          1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Yeah, I think I'm going to rip out the H-bar and patch everything with flashing and muffler paste, then wrap everything with exhaust wrap. End cost: about $40. Theoretically the H bar adds a few horses, but with as junked up as it is the bikes gotta be better off without it. I'll try to post some pics this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by firsttimewrench View Post
              Yeah, I think I'm going to rip out the H-bar and patch everything with flashing and muffler paste, then wrap everything with exhaust wrap. End cost: about $40. Theoretically the H bar adds a few horses, but with as junked up as it is the bikes gotta be better off without it. I'll try to post some pics this weekend.
              Cool, keep us up to date.
              1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
              1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. firsttimewrench,

I've seen some folks fashion their own exhaust pipe and use exhaust clamps to eliminate the exhaust crossover.

Anyway, let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
                Last edited by Guest; 01-13-2012, 06:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X