Has anyone else ran in to this problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone else ran in to this problem?

I have several examples in my parts box.
    These are from two sets of jets pulled from stock GS Mikuni carbs.
    If I had drilled them over-sized, I mark them so as to not be confused in future repairs.
    Although these don't appear to be tampered with, they are incredibly different!

For reference, I use index drill bits or numbered drill bits to measure them.
    Torch tip cleaners are also labeled as to decimal sizes, BTW.

Hopefully, you can see the Mikuni markings clearly...

One set measures .043" and the other measures in at .055"

Just something to think about when doing jet changes. Always check!

Daniel

I'm thinking the smaller holed one is corroded.
    1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
    1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

My money is on the larger one being drilled..............you can see the marks on its flange where it's been held in a vise while it was drilled.

I never trust jet markings for this reason..............they sometimes make marking errors at the factory too. Most are drilled though. I have done so in the past, often soldering the holes once I have gone too big and then re-drilling to the previous size.

Jets are that cheap and readily available now, that its no longer worth the shagging around with drills. But they are still an excellent means of establishing a jets exact size.
      :) The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
      GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
      GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
      GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
      http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

It's not uncommon at all over here.
        79 GS1000S
        79 GS1000S (another one)
        80 GSX750
        80 GS550
        80 CB650 cafe racer
        75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
        75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

I've drilled many jets, especially pilot jets, which were made way too lean in the 1980s and 1990s. Never had to hold them in a vice to drill them.

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
          If I had drilled them over-sized, I mark them so as to not be confused in future repairs.
          Never thought of marking them. What do you do, Dan? A scratch or maybe a small punch mark?

Comment

Originally posted by Ajay View Post
            I've drilled many jets, especially pilot jets, which were made way too lean in the 1980s and 1990s. Never had to hold them in a vice to drill them.

Never thought of marking them. What do you do, Dan? A scratch or maybe a small punch mark?
            Just take a file and run it over the stamped numbers rendering them illegible.
            A red light goes off and you KNOW to check (measure) them.
            I have been doing the same with Holley, GM and Ford carb jets forever.

Daniel

Comment

I drilled out my #80 mains with a dremel and a 3/32" bit if i remember correctly, Did the trick for now, Will most likeley be purchasing the appropriate jets down the line.

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
                Just take a file and run it over the stamped numbers rendering them illegible.
                A red light goes off and you KNOW to check (measure) them.
                I have been doing the same with Holley, GM and Ford carb jets forever.

Daniel
                Good idea!

Comment

115 mains on my Gl measured 160
                  1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
                  1983 GS 1100 G
                  2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
                  2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
                  1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Working...
                  X