No announcement yet.

cv carbs off a 750 on to a 1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Even with that tiny, itty-bitty picture, I can see that what you have is a small port head.
    I got these 32CV carbs from a Kawasaki to work on this one using the stock small port manifolds... (or so I thought?)
    Perhaps they are also manifolds from something else?
    It had Keihen 33mm Smooth-bores on it when I got it.

Can you measure the outside throat of the intake side of those carbs that he gave you?

I'll have to take a closer look at those manifolds and compare them with the new 28mm Suzuki manifolds that I have tomorrow.

Daniel

Comment

ID is 47mm and OD is 52mm on the airbox side, and 38mm OD and 31.5mm ID on motor side, i have super big pics of the previously attached pictures just tell me which ones you want in a big shot

Comment

are the big port heads have a bigger intake tube but the 2 hole spacing the same? or would it be better to squeeze in the cv32 into the small port intake tubes?

Comment

I have these pic's that show the differences in the two heads/manifolds.

Large port manifold on small port head...

They don't fit.

Even if you tried to MAKE them fit, the O-ring gasket would ride right on the edge of the small port...

I'll try to see if the Kawasaki manifolds will work on the small port heads with the carbs that you have tomorrow if you send me a PM to remind me.

Daniel

Comment

awesome that was so much help, so that rules out the bigger manifolds on my small port head, that leaves me to either squeezing in my current cv32 into the current manifolds i have or cut the lip on the current manifolds to help squeeze in the cv32 or buy the vm26's that are suppose to be on there or hoping those kawi manifolds work with the small ports and my kinda large cv32's. decisions decisions decisions... any input on which would be a better choice would be awesome

Comment

I rode two of my GS1000E's last week a day apart.
              The '79 has stock 28mm carbs and airbox.
              The '78 has the Kawasaki 32 CV's and pods.
              Both have the same stock exhaust on them.

The '78 had much more power even though it has a 2.66:1 final drive ratio
              and the '79 has a stock 2.80:1 final drive ratio.

Use the CV carbs if you can make them work.

Daniel

Comment

I guess I will have to shave off some of that inner lip on the intake boot it order to squeeze them over the carbs

Comment

anybody know if the vm 750 carbs are the same as the vm 1000 carbs? i assume they are both 26mm but with differnt jetting can anyone confirm that assumption?

Comment

IIRC, the 750's used 26mm ones and the 1000's used the 28mm ones.
                    Yes they both LOOK identical and are interchangeable. In sets.

Daniel

Comment

A lot of gs1000 78 79 models have VM26 carbs same as gs750. I know this as mine had busted threads on a mixture screw, and i used a 750 carb body. gs1000S 79 model had VM28 carbs, depending on which market USA or EUROPE etc.
                      My bikes 79 GS1000 1085 checked and approved by stator the GSR mascot :eagerness: and 77 GS750 with 850 top end, GS850g, and my eldest sons 78 GS550, youngest sons GS125. Project bike 79 GS1000N

Comment

so its safe to use the vm26's for the sake of them being easier and cheaper to find, i saw a couple sets of vm26's on ebay in the 110-200 dollar range, thinking about picking up a set because I've tried opening up one of the intake boots and even after removing that lip It still is a super tight fit and i feel like with all this removing of material its going to leak somewhere and id rather just buy vm26's and do it right, you guys agree with me on getting vm26's?

Comment

Good news I went to the PO house today to pick up more parts and he gave me a intake boot that has the same size bolt holes but has a bigger mount and it fits on the carbs perfect so now i need to track down a set of these new bigger boots here is a pic to show the difference in the ones that are on it compared to the new one he gave me. well after some searching i found these http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...=45&zmap=41526
                          Last edited by Guest; 01-19-2012, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Excellent!!!!
                            They even come with the $3.00 clamps! Heck of a deal!
                            I never knew that MCSS sold them.

Daniel

Comment

yea I already ordered just 1 to make sure they will fit hopefully they do!

Comment

Well I got in the new boot along with a set of o rings for it, well the boot has the same spacing as the the old boot and its flange mounts on the carbs perfect but the new 32mm oem o rings are to small for the new adapter flange, perhaps i can find some 33m or 34mm o rings

Comment

Working...
                                X