Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Popping Carbs and Stuttering Bike

Hey Guys,
    Just finished my build. Bike has been running great after a whole month of tuning the carbs.
    Very powerfull, very smooth. Yet, today when I started her up and took off, It was hesitating on throttle.
    The carbs were popping, and the bike was stuttering under throttle. Very very odd behaviour. Turned around and put it home and took the R6 as I was on my way to work.

Not sure where to start looking for issues, could it be a vacum leak somewhere:?
    Maybe i'm asking for help prematurley but I would like to know where to start looking.

Cheers

Originally posted by oohsam View Post
    Hey Guys,
    Just finished my build. Bike has been running great after a whole month of tuning the carbs.
    Very powerfull, very smooth. Yet, today when I started her up and took off, It was hesitating on throttle.
    The carbs were popping, and the bike was stuttering under throttle. Very very odd behaviour. Turned around and put it home and took the R6 as I was on my way to work.

Not sure where to start looking for issues, could it be a vacum leak somewhere:?
    Maybe i'm asking for help prematurley but I would like to know where to start looking.

Cheers
    Start by making sure that enough fuel is reaching carbs- maybe petcock has swallowed some tank scum.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Thanks for the reply!
      So I took the bike for a long.ride today. I noticed the stuttering happened at quarter throttle. Half and full throttle are very smooth and powerful. So anyway I ran out of fuel and then flicked it into reserve and it was fine at quarter throttle. As I filled up I thought I would put in premiuim 98 ron fuel instead of the 91 ron unleaded I put last time. Put the switch back to on instead of reserve and it was smooth and normal at quarter throttle.... Could it be because of crappy fuel?

Comment

Stale/bad fuel can definitely cause that.(in my experiences)
        It happens to my 650 every season...once I get some fresh fuel flowing, it smooths out!

Comment

Definitely can be bad or stale fuel. I don't know if you can get it down there but Seafoam as an additive is wondeerful stuff for keeping the carbbies clean and the fuel "stable". I use a couple of caps full per tankfull. If the bike is to sit for more than a month or so I add about 1/3 of a can.

If the bike is really running crappy, a half can in two tanks and a good run will usually always sort things out. Great stuff!

Good luck with it.

Cheers,
          Spyug

Comment

Working...
          X