Wrong style pilot jets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wrong style pilot jets?

After pulling my carbs apart, vm26ss carbs on my 79 gs1000l, I noticed that the pilot jets look nothing like the pilot jets on any website when ordering. Sudco shows the pilot jets I have fitting rs/hs series carbs, not vm. The pilot jets I have match the jets in the VM Rebuild guide on BikeCliffs site. Jets R Us shows different style pilot jets for 77-79 gs1000 bikes as well. Does anyone know what the pilot jets should look like? This is the link showing the "proper" style of pilot jet, or is this wrong? I have no need to replace them, just wondering if they are the incorrect style if possible.

EDIT: jets r us shows the pilot jets I have now as vm28/486 style jets, but these jets do match the jets shown in the VM Rebuild guide.
    Last edited by Guest; 01-26-2012, 12:52 PM. Reason: New info.

Are they more like these?

-Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Yes...perfect match to what I have now, which also matches the VM Rebuild guide. Just noticed that jets r us, sudco, etc. all show these as the correct pilot jets

Comment

These rebuild kits from z1 state they EXCLUDE L models, and based on the pic, the pilot jet looks different from what I have as well.

Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

Comment

These are what sit in VM28s fitted to UK bikes:

79 GS1000S
          79 GS1000S (another one)
          80 GSX750
          80 GS550
          80 CB650 cafe racer
          75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
          75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

That is what I have, and I did notice in my wiring some UK only wiring colors. What is the best way to determine if these carbs are VM28 instead of VM26? Could this be a UK bike in the US?

Comment

Originally posted by Talonrcn View Post
              What is the best way to determine if these carbs are VM28 instead of VM26?
              Measure the internal bore of the carb on the head side. VM28s measure 28.9mm or thereabouts.
              79 GS1000S
              79 GS1000S (another one)
              80 GSX750
              80 GS550
              80 CB650 cafe racer
              75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
              75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Will do, the po may have swapped out a set from a uk bike, or aquired a set from one, anything is possible over 33 years I suppose. Thank you much.

Comment

Originally posted by Talonrcn View Post
                  Yes...perfect match to what I have now, which also matches the VM Rebuild guide. Just noticed that jets r us, sudco, etc. all show these as the correct pilot jets

http://www.jetsrus.com/a_jet_kit_str..._1978-1979.htm
                  That's a common problem - wrong picture and bad data

You'll notice that the correct ones that Allojohn shows are listed as 77-83. Nope! 76-79, 80's are different
                  1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                  1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                  1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                  1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                  1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                  1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                  2007 DRz 400S
                  1999 ATK 490ES
                  1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Working...
                  X