Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83 GS750ES muffler issue

Hello Everyone;
    This is my very first post on this site. I have a basicly stock 1983 GS750ES. Just at the end of the 2011 riding season it started to run rough. I have nailed the problem down to a hole that has rusted out at the forward end of the starboard muffler.
    I have tried to find an afordable 4 into 1 system but can't seem to locate one. I am now thinking of just cutting off the stock mufflers and replacing them with a set of slip on after market mufflers.
    Does anyone know where I can find a decent set?
    I live in British Columbia Canada and therefore ride on twisty roads that require a wide and tractable torque range.
    Any input would be apreciated.

You want to talk to our bud Greg (SVSooke). He's the 750 guru on the left coast.Leastways he know a lot about them.

Cliff will be along shortly with your official /unofficial welcome and heaps o' info but in the meanwhile welcome aboard.

Enjoy the nuthouse.

Spyug

Comment

Thanks Spyug happy Burns day

Comment

Welcome to the site.....

Have you thought about getting the hole fixed, and or wrapping the exhaust ?

I know I will catch some flak for the wrap, but it might help you out until you can get another exhaust.

It's actually something I am looking at doing, not because of holes, but because of dents in the header pipes

Never mind, I read your post again, and see the hole is on the muffler itself, not on the headers themselves

Comment

Yes I have thought of welding up the hole but though I am a journeyman welder I think welding up such thin metal that is already rotting out would be tough even with a small MIG. Also if the mufflers have started to go patching holes could become a full time job.

Comment

Mention a 83-86 750/700 you get my interest up.Sadly the stock pipes on my 85 750EF where,well here's a pic

Lucky for me the 3 parts bikes I got with it got me a workable Supertrapp 4>1.
            When did I get guru status?

Comment

I have had good luck getting mufflers from E-bay sellers but you should also be able to get them from a local bike shop. They will have suppliers like Parts Canada that carry them. If there is a bike wrecker, they may even have some decent used product.

On a few occasions, I've had luck posting parts wanted here and also listing on sites like Kijiji and Craigslist.

I was hoping our left coast guru would have had something for you

If you don't mind spending money you could check with some of the bigger US vendors like Bike Bandit or Dennis Kirk.

If I run across anything I'll let you know. In the meanwhile if you want to try welding on a patch I'd recommend doing it the old fashioned way...brazing with good old flame. You're less likely to burn through.

Anyway don't give up hope something will appear.

Cheers,
              Spyug.

Comment

It is true I could braze it, though brazing is not a fusion weld and it does loose half it's strength above 800 degrees F. I am not sure what the operating temp of the exhaust system might be when some maniac is racing up to Silverstar resort atop a mountain in the middle of an Okanagan summer.
                I would LOVE a full on Yoshamira system but even if I could find one I imagine it would be prohibitively expensive. So far I have talked to the local bike shops. The Suzuki / Kawasaki shop only handles a brand called "Road Chrome" it's mostly for cruisers not sport bikes. AND GET THIS ! I went into the local Honda / KTM shop and asked the parts girl if she could source me an exhaust for an 83' GS750ES and she looked me in the eye and actually said "What brand is that"? I took a moment to process that and decided to leave. Some people will never reach enlightenment.
                I have a feeling that I will find the answer though now that I am graced by this forums distinguished company.

Comment

Why didn't I think of this before?How I'm rehabbing a set of stock 78 100 headers for my Skunk project

Got a set of good headers with rotted mufflers from Rob (azr).

Sawzalled the mufflers off.

Had a buddy weld in a 1 1/2" piece of exhaust pipe in.

So I can mount up a set of loooong Dunstall reverse cones.Sounds like you could handle that.

Comment

Where did you get the mufflers?

Comment

Originally posted by Ward 83750es View Post
                      Where did you get the mufflers?
                      Was part of a package deal with the GS400's I got for my wife.Turns out she can't ride so they where sold.They where almost sold to,lucky for me I kept them.

Comment

I have a buddy getting me the measurements now thanks for the help.

Comment

Does anyone know if the fitment for the exhaust is the same on an 82 GS750 as it is on the 83

Comment

No the header pipes are different spacing.

Comment

I ended up welding up the hole and it made a world of difference. AStill looking for better pipes though.

Comment

Working...
                              X