Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

79 550, K&N pods hit frame

Yet another bump in my road...

I found a good price on the RC-2314 pods which is what the K&N website lists for them '79 GS550 (E, EN, L, etc). Well, they're wrong. The 1 and 4 carbs hit the frame. I've searched around and haven't found anyone that's posted a part number for which pods they're using.

Anyone with VM carbs on a GS550- Which K&N pods are you using?

Here's the solution that I found. I posted this on page 2, but figured anyone searching for info in the future might not wade through all the talk about jetting below.

Originally posted by Pendulum View Post
    Yep, they fit. I ended up using K&N part # 0884. This is a kit that includes 2x K&N part # 0880 and 2x RC-2620*** (See note at bottom). The RC-2620 filters have the same dimensions for the actual filter element, but have a longer rubber flange. The flange is 9.5mm longer. This puts the 2 inner filters (carbs #2 and 3) 9.5mm taller. It gives it a cool "staggered" look. To install them, do the insides first (cyl 2 and 3) and then do the outsides. Use a little bit of silicone lube on the flange to prevent tearing them. I went in at an angle and rotated the filter slowly until it was fully seated, then rotated them until the K&N logos were oriented correctly.

Another option would be to purchase 4x RC-0880. This would give you 4 identical filters, but costs more. Not sure on how much more, since I got wholesale pricing. For me, it would have been about $10 extra. I like the staggered look, so I went with the RC-0884 kit.

***K&N shows the kit includes RC-2610, but it's a typo. That part number doesn't even exist in the K&N database. My K&N rep (I work for a K&N distributor) couldn't even find it. I measured the filters I was sent, and they match the dimensions for RC-2620.
    Last edited by Guest; 02-07-2012, 03:13 PM.

I know people have had this issue... I've seen the posts! Anyone know which pods I need?

Comment

I have a set of the UNI High flow Pods coming next week for my 78 550, I'll get back to you when I know if they fit or not

Comment

Give Colorado CJ a PM. He put pods on his 550. I read through his thread but could he never posted what type of pods he has but they look a lot like yours. I am sticking with the stock airbox.

Paul

Comment

sorry to butt in but interested in doing the same thing to my 79 gs 550, curious as to what the pros and cons are of going from the stock air filter system to cones are

Comment

Well I gave up trying to find the info, so I took some measurements and got on the K&N website and found a few filters that should fit. I ordered the only full set (part # RC-0884) and I'm going to try to install them tonight. I was able to get them to overnight them for free

I'll let you guys know what I find out.

On the subject of the UNI filters, make sure you keep an eye on those. I used to use them on my GoPed and about every 14 months the insides would get dried out and chunks of the filter would start flaking off and get sucked into the carb.

Comment

Originally posted by cormz211 View Post
              sorry to butt in but interested in doing the same thing to my 79 gs 550, curious as to what the pros and cons are of going from the stock air filter system to cones are
              Unless you're rejetting and putting on a new exhaust system like a 4-1 that allows for more flow you're better off leaving it stock... All you're really doing is playing around with the mixture. A system that allows for more air and fuel will give you some added gains - like top end power - usually at a sacrifice for the low end. Depends on how you tune it... Gear it ect... But if you aren't flogging it wide open and aren't looking for race performance but rather are looking for reliability it's easier to just keep it stock - rather than having 4 separate intakes to tune and deal with more than you would have to in the stock form.

Gonna put pods in mine - I want the tuning headache - and will be riding it for fun so why not...
              Last edited by Guest; 02-04-2012, 01:16 AM.

Comment

DCrippa, I mostly agree. FWIW, an engine is merely an air pump. Any restriction will prevent it from pumping at maximum capacity. So pods and a pipe go together. At higher rpm it has the potential to pump more air, so power will increase more at higher rather than at lower rpm where the restrictions are not as critical. But unless you change the cams low end performance should not change unless it is jetted improperly.
                If you change either, you MUST rejet and tune the carbs.
                Reliability will not change, there is no reason it should, you have not gone into the engine and put in exotic parts.
                You have to tune each carb separately, whether airbox or pods. I have one of each, and the only difference is that I have to tune each section for the pod bike; carb synch, pilot jet, needle height, and main jets. For the airbox bike I just have to synch the carbs.
                And cormz211, personally I would not bother with all this work on a 550, I would just buy a bigger bike. The increase in power vs. the expense and headache of rejetting and tuning would not be worth it to me. But that's me.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                  The increase in power vs. the expense and headache of rejetting and tuning would not be worth it to me. But that's me.
                  True enough.
                  At least make it a 650 while you are at it and gain about 120 cc's.

Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
                    True enough.
                    At least make it a 650 while you are at it and gain about 120 cc's.

Daniel
                    Some people enjoy the challenge no matter the displacement. My GPz is an 810 now and I did the work, plus a bunch more (milled head, degreed cams, etc.). It was a PITA, but it screams. A 550, not so much.

Comment

sounds good guys thanks for the info....was not really looking for power just my dad's bike has the pods so was just curious what it would take to put them on my bike

Comment

Originally posted by Pendulum View Post
                        Well I gave up trying to find the info, so I took some measurements and got on the K&N website and found a few filters that should fit. I ordered the only full set (part # RC-0884) and I'm going to try to install them tonight. I was able to get them to overnight them for free

I'll let you guys know what I find out.

On the subject of the UNI filters, make sure you keep an eye on those. I used to use them on my GoPed and about every 14 months the insides would get dried out and chunks of the filter would start flaking off and get sucked into the carb.
                        any updates? did they fit??

Comment

I spent some time this evening trying to get the carbs out of a 550 and I must say that there is not much room at all for the skinny little airbox.
                          I also looked at seeing if shorter intake manifolds would work on those... nope!
                          The carb linkage would be against the engine.
                          Can't imagine why Suzuki didn't just make the engine cradle a bit larger.
                          I use pods on many of my bikes and can't envision any of them fitting in those tight quarters.
                          The center two carbs yes, the outer two no.

Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by aznpride75 View Post
                            any updates? did they fit??

Yep, they fit. I ended up using K&N part # 0884. This is a kit that includes 2x K&N part # 0880 and 2x RC-2620*** (See note at bottom). The RC-2620 filters have the same dimensions for the actual filter element, but have a longer rubber flange. The flange is 9.5mm longer. This puts the 2 inner filters (carbs #2 and 3) 9.5mm taller. It gives it a cool "staggered" look. To install them, do the insides first (cyl 2 and 3) and then do the outsides. Use a little bit of silicone lube on the flange to prevent tearing them. I went in at an angle and rotated the filter slowly until it was fully seated, then rotated them until the K&N logos were oriented correctly.

Another option would be to purchase 4x RC-0880. This would give you 4 identical filters, but costs more. Not sure on how much more, since I got wholesale pricing. For me, it would have been about $10 extra. I like the staggered look, so I went with the RC-0884 kit.

***K&N shows the kit includes RC-2610, but it's a typo. That part number doesn't even exist in the K&N database. My K&N rep (I work for a K&N distributor) couldn't even find it. I measured the filters I was sent, and they match the dimensions for RC-2620.

Comment

Alrighty well I just looked up the part number on the k n n website. There $120.99...now I'm pretty new to motorcycles...but that kinda seams like a lotta money for 4 filters

Right after posting this I checked e bay and found a set for $99 that's not AS bad...but I'm sure it's about the same after shipping.
                              Last edited by Guest; 02-07-2012, 08:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X