Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

new old bike beatiful 81 gs850 survivor.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new old bike beatiful 81 gs850 survivor.

Been a xs11 yamaha fan for years, but recently saved a 1981 gs850 from behind a pawnshop. Beautiful survivor one owner 13400 mile bike that was left in the weather for 5 months with fuel in the tank and carbs. Bike starts and runs smoothly through 3rd gear, then it wheezes and strains in 4th and 5th. will hit 65 in third and drop to 50 in 5th. Gonna pull the plugs and carbs. New plugs rebuild and sy,nch the carbs, but wondering if the vacuum activated pet cock could be responsible for sluggish performance? anybody know.

Sounds like a good plan. Gotta post some pics of your survivor. Always nice to see an older but a goodie.

Comment

Pictures and a carb clean are required
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

from my phone

will post pics tommorow, gotta get batteries for my camera.
        Last edited by Guest; 02-01-2012, 09:12 PM. Reason: photo

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. Blastr2783,

Check the maintenance lists in your "mega-welcome". Take no shortcuts. New intake boots and O-rings, a proper carb clean, and valve adjustment to start. Not to mention all the fluid changes, plugs, filters, etc. Yes, a faulty petcock could cause starvation issues or leak gas into the crankcase and dilute the oil. Test and replace if necessary.

I've got a lot of GS850G goodness for you. Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

When you finally get that 850 running well, be prepared to re-learn how to ride a shaft-driven bike.

The eXSessive 11 was one of the worst bikes to ride because of all the shaft-jacking when you rolled on and off the throttle.
            The 850 does virtually NONE of that.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thank you mr. Cliff

I will do all that you recommend. I have owned 4 xs11's over the years and they require similar maintence when purchased.

Comment

Originally posted by Blastr2783 View Post
                Been a xs11 yamaha fan for years, but recently saved a 1981 gs850 from behind a pawnshop. Beautiful survivor one owner 13400 mile bike that was left in the weather for 5 months with fuel in the tank and carbs. Bike starts and runs smoothly through 3rd gear, then it wheezes and strains in 4th and 5th. will hit 65 in third and drop to 50 in 5th. Gonna pull the plugs and carbs. New plugs rebuild and sy,nch the carbs, but wondering if the vacuum activated pet cock could be responsible for sluggish performance? anybody know.

Sounds like a good start for sure. We've seen and experienced it a lot round these parts. A bike sitting in the eliments for too many years needs lots of service to make it run good and safe.

For starters, tank cleaned, brakes, carbs, valves, tires, filter and oil, air box in good shape, petcock, and it goes on ..

Have fun and keep us posted!!
                sigpic

82 GS850
                78 GS1000
                04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                .................________-|___\____
                ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

body work weekend

My weekends consist of tuesday and wednesday

Comment

Your bike must be a GS850L model judging from the tank. Welcome to the L club.

Comment

bike

i think i have a dent free tank for that bike and a newer fuel float unit too.

Comment

Originally posted by DanTheMan View Post
                        Your bike must be a GS850L model judging from the tank. Welcome to the L club.
                        The tank is not original to the bike. hopefully get it and the fenders painted by tommorow evening, going with hunter green.

Comment

Originally posted by motocycle shawn View Post
                          i think i have a dent free tank for that bike and a newer fuel float unit too.
                          cool, PM me.

Comment

Fresh fron the hangers.

Comment

Looks nice. But, I was right, it is an 850L, you've got the leading axle forks, drawback bars, stepped seat and small, teardrop tank.

Comment

Working...
                              X