drilling exaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

drilling exaust

i searched but found nothing...typed in everything i could thing of "exaust mod, exaust drilling,exasut jetteting etc

some gixxer/kawi fourms said you need to some say you dont with slip ons...so im clueless

my bike has the exaust with the 5? holes around a center hole...if i drill those outside holes out do i need to rejet? im running stock airbox..

or even drilling out 2 per side...i just want it a little louder

I dont know too much about drilling 'em but it will help in your search if you spell if "exhaust".

Comment

If they are in good shape, don't drill them.
      Stock exhausts are getting more difficult to find.
      Someone here might buy them and then you could go with an aftermarket system for more volume.
      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Drilled isn't really louder, it just sounds like crap.
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Yes, you would have to rejet. Not worth the effort IMO, but that's just me.

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
            If they are in good shape, don't drill them.
            Stock exhausts are getting more difficult to find.
            Someone here might buy them and then you could go with an aftermarket system for more volume.
            one side is ok..the other side has dents scratches..

Comment

Not to mention that louder will just **** off the folks around you.
              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

DONT do it!!!!!!!
                You need to rejet!

I did this to my 650, it sounded like a "Farty" Dirtbike and lost a lot of High-End power.

The bike sounded really good at WOT, and some Mid-Throttle, but other than that....it sounds crappy. I love loud bikes, and it was satisfying for a while, but the bike lost a lot of power, and I could barely keep up with Harleys.

I got so tired of it, I went to patch and weld the exhaust back up!
                Waallaaaaa power restored!

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                  Not to mention that louder will just **** off the folks around you.
                  Wait a minute, I thought that loud pipes save lives. Or was that loud mouths cause fights? IDK...
                  I knew someone who had a Yamahamamama 650 4 cruiser (XJ?) back in the day. He drilled his out, but was disappointed in the performance. I didn't have the heart to tell him he needed to rejet the thing to get any improvement out of it. And rejetting for this type of a change would be an undocumented PITA, just trial and error.

Comment

Originally posted by 1_v8_merc View Post

I love loud bikes, and it was satisfying for a while, but the bike lost a lot of power, and I could barely keep up with Harleys.
                    Whoa, really?

That's bad.
                    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

A previous owner drilled the exhaust on my Honda. It sounds terrible unless you're at WOT and above 8 grand, which doesn't happen often. Otherwise it will just sound like you have an exhaust leak. Don't do it. As others have said, if you want it louder, sell your stock pipes and get some aftermarket slipons or something. Oh, and spelling correctly is usually beneficial.

Comment

I have mine drilled out, as well as a rejet and pods =) I have heard a "bad" drill job, and I do agree THOSE sound terrible unless WoT. The key is to not to go too deep inside, went about 2 - 2 1/2". Be 100% positive that you want a louder exhaust though

Comment

Working...
                        X