No announcement yet.

Petcock rebuilding issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amazing how the most simple device on a bike can cause so much frustration. Why is it they can't design a decent fuel petcock? I have 4 (2 factory, 2 aftermarket) in my parts box along with a couple rebuild kits that didn't work long.
    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

I totally agree.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Hey guys I want to let you know my experience with the petcock kit.

I cleaned everything and looked at the o-ring seat. It looked fine to me but when I put the kit in it leaked.

I tried the spring extension trick but no good. I then tried lapping the seat. That just made it worse.

That condition told me the seat was lower than the lowest point the o-ring would reach, thus no seal. Since I had nothing to loose I decided to take a risk.

I decided to sand down the diaphram spacer, I took a few thousands off the "o-ring" side of it and put it back together. Works perfect, the only thing I suggest is that when you sand that side down you remove the raised spots on the spacer that I assume work as sealing edges. So use a bit of gasket maker on the very edges of the rubber to metal seal area and you will not have any problems.

Just wanted to pass this on in case it helps someone else.

Comment

Working...
        X