carb sync tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

carb sync tool

was wondering what is everyone using getting ready to buy one looks like two available are the motion pro version and the morgan carbtune any info would be great as far as use and reliablity Thanks.

Comment

The Morgan Carbtune is the overwhelming favorite, but really needs some better adapters to screw into the engine.

The Motion Pro unit (the one with the blue liquid) also works well, but you have to be careful not to tip it over.

Personally, I will hang on to my mercury sticks until I run out of mercury, then will probably spring for a Carbtune.
      (Based on that, I do not forsee getting a Carbtune any time soon, as I have several POUNDS of mercury at home. )

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Mine has 4 needle-gauges, multi-function.
        Just a cheapo unit for $50, at the local yamaha shop.

I had to replace the crappy rubber lines, because they split the FIRST time I tried to use it!
        I went to lowes and got some clear hose-line, worked like a charm.

Comment

You can get brass tubes to replace the plastic ones, and new rubber washers are a good idea at least for spares.

I made a vacuum sync tool from 4 vacuum gauges on a board. Cost 80 dollars. My buddy uses it on his Honda boat engines to check the sync. Gets him free beer from his friends too.
          1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
          1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Hi,

I love my Morgan Carbtune. I also ordered a set of brass vacuum port tubes from Z1 to go with it, 5mm. The brass tubes are much easier to work with than the plastic bits that come with the Carbtune.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

tool

ok here is my reply to this. IF BASSCLIFF HAS A SET THEN THEY MUST BE GOOD! SO I JUST ORDERED ME A SET MY SELF. picked up a colortune A kit too <--- don't tell the wife lol i told her it was just a set of meters. snuck that one by her lol. was $204.00 to my door for the meter bag and the color tune A kit. BASSCLIFF do you use the color tune too?

Comment

I got a Carbtune Pro, the carb tool (the long screwdriver with the socket on the outside), and a Colortune for Christmas.

Only used the Carbtune Pro with the carb tool once so far but made the sync dead simple.

Yet to use the Colortune although I need to desperately...
                1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

I also have the Carbtune, bought the brass tubes to go with it (a must, the plastic ones were almost worthless) and a Colortune. All great tools to have when working on our beloved GS's....and a GR too!
                  sigpic

1974 GT750 ...done, running and sold
                  1974 GT550 .... under construction (done and sold)
                  1978 GS550........all stock, running (going to do 550/650 build with it)
                  1978 GS1000...another project (Given to son #2)
                  1982 GS750EZ ...daily driver(given to son#1)
                  1982 GS1100G...completed and traded to son #2 for the 750 back
                  1982 GS750EZ...daily driver (got it back in trade with son #2)
                  1983 GR650 Tempter.... engine rebuild completed (and sold)

Comment

Plus one to all said here. Bought a CarbTune off of a member here, and it's just great. Before that I was using my friend's Motion Pro blue-fluid type. It was great when new but as said you must be VERY careful with the fluid. Suck a little out (all it takes is to stall the bike while tuning) and that's all she wrote. Next time I get a chance I am going to steal his 5mm brass adapters.

Comment

Bought the carbtune, I am a newbie to this and based my purchase off the reviews off this site.

By following the service manual's advice to used higher rpms to sync the carb, I couldn't get the carbs to sync. On a whim I dropped the RPMs to 1000 and tried again. Less then a minute it was tuned perfectly. I reved it up, changed idle and it stayed in perfect balance. zen

Comment

Hi,

Originally posted by motocycle shawn View Post
                        BASSCLIFF do you use the color tune too?
                        I have a Colortune but I must admit that I've never used it. I always use the "highest idle method" when setting the idle mixture screws.

I'm glad you value my opinions. I've been on this forum for five years and the experts here have taught me just about everything I know about wrenching on my GS. I trust these guys.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

adding to this thread not hi-jacking......

Has anyone tried to put some sort of easy to get to adapter on the carbs? Like a remote mount? Suzuki put my 1100G cynch ports on the bottom of the carb boots and made them a paint to get to.
                          My 550 is the same way only less clearance..

Just curious????
                          GS Score Card
                          4-400 Series GS's
                          3-500 Series
                          1-600 Series
                          1-700 Series
                          4-800 Series
                          1-1000 Series
                          2-1100 series 1982 GS1100G In stable now
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jimfj View Post
                            adding to this thread not hi-jacking......

Has anyone tried to put some sort of easy to get to adapter on the carbs? Like a remote mount? Suzuki put my 1100G cynch ports on the bottom of the carb boots and made them a paint to get to.
                            My 550 is the same way only less clearance..

Just curious????
                            Well, think about what the adapters are. Just a nipple that provides a vacuum source for each carb. So you could extend this line by making it longer, a piece of hose and another nipple. So you could do the same, just make sure there are no leaks in the lines.

Comment

Speaking of....does anyone know what size threading is used for the sync adapters or nipples?
                              Do all the bikes use the same size nipples/threading?

Comment

Working...
                              X