Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help for a new GS650G owner!

Hello all,
    I just purchased an '82 GS650G this past sunday. I noticed when I got home that it had no air filter components. The previous owner had no idea when the carbs were last rebuilt (I think he only had it for a couple of months). So my roomate says I just need to rebuild the carbs and throw some pods, or air box on it. I would love some expert input on this however!

Thanks in advance

First, welcome.
    Second, the best source of information is BassCliff, who will be along in a moment,
    In the meantime, welcome to the GSR.

Comment

Welcome !!!

Here's THE tutorial for the carbs.

I'd recommend spending some time here reading and learning anything and everything you can. Learn how to use the search feature, there's years and years of info in the archives.

Also, find an airbox and filter. Pods can be a little tricky to get right. These bikes like the correct mixture of fuel and air. After you get it running well and then want to attach some pods, at least your starting from a good baseline.
      Larry D
      1980 GS450S
      1981 GS450S
      2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Forget the pods, it's a stupid idea on stock jetting.

Get a stock airbox from eBay or a Member on here.

Stock airbox will allow you to dial-in the bike MUCH easier and get a solid running platform. Especially If you've never been around these bikes before...it's a really bad idea to use Pods and expect tuning to be a breeze...when you don't even know How it's supposed to run normally in the first place.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. aldoski,

In the links below are mountains of instruction, pictures, tips, best practices, tried and true procedures. It's almost information overload, but take your time and go through the maintenance lists, read all of the "how to" guides, download a manual, and do it right the first time. Take no shortcuts or you will be frustrated.

Now let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
          Last edited by Guest; 02-07-2012, 04:23 PM.

Comment

I've got a stock air box off a '79 GS550 I'd part with for cheap. If you can verify that it will fit your bike, I'll gladly sell it. I've got no clue if it fits though.

Comment

Orings = www.cycleorings.com
              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Wow, thanks for the warm welcome everyone! I've been trying to read up on everything my brain will allow and think I've pretty much overloaded for the time being lol.
                So if I understand correctly, my best bet is to not buy a carb rebuild kit. And to purchase a complete set of O-rings, and just do a breakdown and dip for everything else?

Comment

Does anyone know if this will work for my 650G?

Originally posted by Pendulum View Post
                  I've got a stock air box off a '79 GS550 I'd part with for cheap. If you can verify that it will fit your bike, I'll gladly sell it. I've got no clue if it fits though.

Comment

Originally posted by tom203
                    Ask PO if he will tell you who previous owner is/was and maybe he could tell you what happenned to airbox- might still be at his girlfriend's house and she is tired of looking at greasy thing. These things do come up on ebay regularly, but beware, cuz the shaft versions had different airbox orientation than the "E" or the 550's. Going back to stock setup will make things easier.

The "G" versions have a vertical oval connecting airfilter box to airbox.see pic. Others have horizontal oval
                    Okay so I see now that I need an airbox and air filter box? I found an airbox on ebay but didn't see any air filter boxes :/

Comment

You need the air filter frame. It's a metal frame that the foam filter fits over.

Comment

Originally posted by DanTheMan View Post
                        You need the air filter frame. It's a metal frame that the foam filter fits over.
                        The frame (actually plastic) seems to get misplaced/chucked during the teardown- l haven't see one for a while.
                        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by aldoski View Post
                          Wow, thanks for the warm welcome everyone! I've been trying to read up on everything my brain will allow and think I've pretty much overloaded for the time being lol.
                          So if I understand correctly, my best bet is to not buy a carb rebuild kit. And to purchase a complete set of O-rings, and just do a breakdown and dip for everything else?
                          Looks like my airbox won't work for you, but I've got the filter cage/frame too.

Also, you'll probably want the gaskets for your carbs too. Not sure if they're available separate.

Comment

Originally posted by aldoski View Post
                            Does anyone know if this will work for my 650G?
                            Doubtful, you have different carbs
                            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                            2007 DRz 400S
                            1999 ATK 490ES
                            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Does anyone have a picture displaying what a complete assembled air cleaning system is supposed to look like? I have absolutely nothing behind the carbs and have no reference for what it needs to look like to get to stock

Comment

Working...
                              X