No announcement yet.

Floods after valve adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If the HF set is a set of vacuum gauges ?? Don't buy them. If it has the stock air box & filter Just the pipe IT is too rich from 80 maybe go to 87.5 . Get them cleaned, air box sealed good filter Adjusted as sugested. then see what the plugs say.
    Also make sure you have 12 volts at the coil...

Comment

i hear you on the harbor freight thing, usually they have a bout 90 percent junk stocked at all times, but for small things you dont use much it can be a good resource. ill try the smaller jets. Big T suggested the 2nd clip up on the needle, does that sound about right as well?

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggystyle View Post
        i have one soaking as we speak in carb dip and i just ordered a new set of o-rings for the carbs since i fouled a few up taking them off to clean. i saw a carburetor sync kit at Harbor Freight, so ill see if i can pick it up next time im in that area. one thing that scares me is that the bike smokes. its all white and smells strongly like gas, not oil. could an overly rich condition cause this somehow? i know when i cleaned the carbs the first time it stopped for the most part
        Is your oil overfilled?

Like with gas?
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

it was even before i did the valves. i changed the oil and filter and it reeked. i think some found its way back in though bc my floats were all out of whack. i do think i overfilled with oil though. the bike came with an aftermarket oil cooler so i was trying to compensate for that and dumped too much in

Comment

ok so i got the carbs dipped and sprayed out with carb cleaner. i ordered some 87.5 mains from jetsRus, now i just need to figure out the needle clip postion. ive heard that usually you only need to raise the clip one notch, but i dont know where the starting point is. with stock carburetors, in your experience, where is the needle usually?

Comment

ok so i got the carbs dipped and sprayed out with carb cleaner. i ordered some 87.5 mains from jetsRus, now i just need to figure out the needle clip postion. ive heard that usually you only need to raise the clip one notch, but i dont know where the starting point is. with stock carburetors, in your experience, where is the needle usually?
              Middle is standard - move it down one

You have a bad petcock that is a source of much of your trouble
              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
              2007 DRz 400S
              1999 ATK 490ES
              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

You want to raise the needle, move the clip down one notch below the middle.
                http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

ok thanks for the help everyone, dont know what id do without this site! s owith the petcock, should i get a rebuild kit, or just buy a new one?

Comment

On some model petcocks, the rebuild kits fit, on others they don't fit at all.
                    I don't know about the 550 petcock.
                    A new one is a sure thing.
                    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

ill scour the site and see if anyone has had success with the kits, im trying to keep this pretty low budget

Comment

Success rate with petcock rebuild kits seems to be around 15%.

How lucky do you feel?

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

"so the question you gotta ask yourself is, Do you feel lucky?...Punk" ill just get a new one, not even worth taking a chance over. any good venfors you know with low prices and high quality? ive seen some on ebay but all for around $100

Comment

"so the question you gotta ask yourself is, Do you feel lucky?...Punk"
                            I gots to know! click!

Really, if you want to stay cheap for the time being, just take the #3 carb to the auto parts store and get a correctly fitting rubber cap for the vacuum port

Then, use you petcock in manual mode - turn it to Prime to run, turn it to ON when you stop

You can always replace the petock at any time
                            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                            2007 DRz 400S
                            1999 ATK 490ES
                            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Might need to cap the vacuum port on the petcock too, depending upon the failure mode. They are spendy devils, and I'm starting to get second round failures in my little fleet.
                              sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

that is great to know! i know its a temporary fix but does it alter the performance at all?

Comment

Working...
                                X