Fuel leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel leak

My GS currently refuses to start. While diagnosing the problem, I removed the fuel tank. I put it back on yesterday, set it to "prime" (which is free flowing I believe), and tinkered some more (to no avail, but that's a different story). When I'd finished I set it to "reserve" (which a) is vacuum controlled and b) I don't have a reserve pipe as far as I can tell).

Walked past the garage this morning and the bike is sitting in a puddle of fuel. Haven't had time to figure out where it's coming from, but I've set the petcock to "on" and left it alone for now.

A couple of questions:

Should I have a reserve pipe?

There's a long pipe that ran from the fuel sender unit down through the frame and - as far as I could tell - connected to nothing. What is it?

That long pipe from fuel sender is just a drain line in case the fuel sender leaks.
    Let's review petcock operation. In "ON" and "RES", fuel will only flow when vacuum is applied to petcock vacuum line. In "P', fuel flows no matter what. Of course, this assumes your petcock is working correctly. Sounds like you left it on P overnight and this let fuel work past the carb float needle seats. The stock petcock had lever pointing down for on, pointing forward for res. and pointing back for prime spot (P)- is this waht yours looks like?
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
      That long pipe from fuel sender is just a drain line in case the fuel sender leaks.
      Makes sense.

Let's review petcock operation. In "ON" and "RES", fuel will only flow when vacuum is applied to petcock vacuum line. In "P', fuel flows no matter what. Of course, this assumes your petcock is working correctly. Sounds like you left it on P overnight and this let fuel work past the carb float needle seats.
      I guess so, but I was sure I'd turned it off. Oh well.

The stock petcock had lever pointing down for on, pointing forward for res. and pointing back for prime spot (P)- is this waht yours looks like?
      Yes, although there's no pipe on the reserve side.

Comment

Originally posted by SamCrow View Post
        Yes, although there's no pipe on the reserve side.
        How do you know there is no "pipe" on the reserve side?

Have you removed the petcock and observed this?

The reserve "pipe" is a plastic tube that fits on the top of the petcock and should be three or four inches long. The very top of it will have an openingn with a very fine screen. That screen is your fuel filter, so if it's not there, you need to replace it. That will also get your reserve function back.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by SamCrow View Post
          There's a long pipe that ran from the fuel sender unit down through the frame and - as far as I could tell - connected to nothing. What is it?
          That hose should dangle down near your swinging arm, out of harms way. It's purpose is to remove any fuel should your fuel gauge sender rubber gsaket develop a leak.
          79 GS1000S
          79 GS1000S (another one)
          80 GSX750
          80 GS550
          80 CB650 cafe racer
          75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
          75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Hi,

I found this on some guy's website. Maybe it will shed some light.

Where Do These Hoses Go?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
              Hi,

I found this on some guy's website. Maybe it will shed some light.

Where Do These Hoses Go?
              Fantastic. Thank you.

Comment

If you think you have a bad petcock, it should be relatively easy to determine.
                Just make sure you have enough gas in the tank to do the check (more than the amount for reserve to check the "ON" position).
                Disconnect your fuel line and attach another fuel line to the petcock long enough to have it drain into some type of container, something you'll be able to empty frequently. Disconnect your vacuum line from your petcock and attach another one to it.
                When you switch your petcock to "Prime" fuel should flow freely. When you switch it to "On", it should stop altogether, except when you suck on the vacuum line (acts like a switch), when you quit sucking fuel should stop flowing, eventually completely, and the same goes for "Reserve,"
                shouldn't flow without vacuum applied, and should flow with vacuum applied.
                If you think it's working properly, empty the container and with it on "ON"
                let it sit for awhile and see if any fuel accumulates in the container.
                If it drips you have a leaky petcock.

Luckily for you petcocks are relatively cheap.
                sigpic
                Steve
                "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

Working...
                X