Smoothbore carb gasket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoothbore carb gasket?

My first time taking apart the 29mm smoothbores. Previous Owner Syndrome has not been kind to them.
    The brown wafer thin material at the bottom of the carb body has started to fall apart. Mikuni calls it a "Jet Block Gasket VM29/13".
    Z1 Enterprises does not carry them, any other sources?
    Suggestions on how to remove them with out scoring the body?

2@ \'78 GS1000

Call Z1 and they will get them for you.

Daniel

Comment

Sudco should have them. http://www.sudco.com/Diagrams323728/expvm29.gif
      I'm pretty sure that's where Z1 gets their smoothbore parts.

I made some of those jet block gaskets once out of stiff velum type paper. Tested the paper by soaking in gasoline for a few days first. Worked fine.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Thanks for the replies, gents.
        A bit more searching and i found them at Jets R us for $3.95 or Motorcyclecarbs.com for $9.95. Yikes!
        I will contact Jeff at Z1.
        I am assuming they act as a cushion for the jet block?
        2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

We have them in stock. SU002-535 - $1.85 each.

Without those gaskets, the pilot circuit fails to pickup fuel effectively - making for a frustrating experience trying to get the bike to idle properly.

Comment

Steve..just a reminder here. Dont forget to poke all the holes out in the bleeder tubes. You can even gently twist them and remove for cleaning. Put them back in the holes and then tap them back in firmly with a fiber mallet. Then repoke the tiny little hole on the end to be sure any fiber didnt get in there ( usually doesnt though ).
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Thanks to all that responded to my question.
              Along with the usual great parts/info supplied by Jeff and Chris at Z1, the complete rebuild of the smoothbores has been completed.
              Ultra-sonic bath, dipped, guitar stringed, tooth brushed, air blasted, o-rings, gaskets...in a couple weeks they will be tested.

2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Steve, your PM inbox is full, was messaging you this:

In reference to THIS:
                Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                Thanks to all that responded to my question.
                Along with the usual great parts/info supplied by Jeff and Chris at Z1, the complete rebuild of the smoothbores has been completed.
                Ultra-sonic bath, dipped, guitar stringed, tooth brushed, air blasted, o-rings, gaskets...in a couple weeks they will be tested.

WOW... you made no mention of the bike model these were for, but they appear to apparently be for the 6 cylinder Honda cbx (I believe they were called)?

I have never heard of such a rack of vm29 smoothbore for the six-cylinder Hondas! is this what they were intended for? Was that something that you custom assembled yourself using two sets of 4 cylinder carbs? Or was this actually from Mikuni intended for those bikes, or previously custom made for a six-cylinder race bike?

part of me was just curious about this as I have never seen a 6 cylinder rack of smoothbores.

then a light bulb went off in my head! if you built these custom for a six-cylinder application, do you happen to have the remaining two outside carbs? I was likely going to have to get a set of Keihin CR31 or CR33 smoothbore carbs for when I build up a highly modified gs425 2 cylinder engine into a 475cc 10.5:1 race engine with head work, JE Pistons 894cc GS850 custom pistons, head work by RapidRay, megacycle cams, etc...

I thought about putting CR carbs on the Rickman with an 894cc gs750 engine, but I had reservations that now I needed to stock a full set of Keihin tuning & rebuild parts, when I already had everything for Mikuni VM's. well I just got a set of VM29 smoothbores as a thank you gift, and thought that it would be really great to be able to assemble a rack of vm29 smoothbore for a 2-cylinder GS as well to eliminate the need for any other brands of motorcycle carb tuning / repair parts. I was just curious if you had the two outer carbs if that was assembled custom from two sets of carbs. I know it's been 4 yrs and you likely may have just come upon them in their current state, or maybe that is their original state.

thanks Steve,

Chuck in Columbus Ohio
                '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
                '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
                '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
                '79 GS425stock
                PROJECTS:
                '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
                '77 GS550 740cc major mods
                '77 GS400 489cc racer build
                '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
                '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Chuck, i finally cleaned up my inbox.
                  The carbs came already fabbed up. They were built by a guy named Rick Chupp. He was a smoothbore carb guru for the vintage race guys about 20 years ago.
                  Last i heard he was working in Indiana someplace. Cycle Outfitters or a name something like that. Pretty sure he has long retired.
                  The carb to head manifolds are very difficult to find these days.
                  I still haven't used the ones from this thread. Sold that particular bike with stock carbs.
                  2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Working...
                  X