Rock-hard Air Box Boots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DanTheMan View Post
    You could buy silicone hoses made for turbo systems, get the size that fits in the airbox, it'll stretch over the carb throat. I was considering that myself before I discovered they cost the same as the OEM airbox boots for my 850.
    That is a good idea. I have a ton of those on my Firebird (rear mount turbo) and they are not that expensive, relatively speaking. Especially for the smaller diameter hoses.

Comment

What's for dinner dear?

Daniel

Comment

I like the idea of those hose fittings, seems like it would go on easier that a solid diameter hose, where did you buy your turbo fittings? Katarat, i've looked everywhere and cannot find them. i have no idea why but suzuki doesnt make them for the 550s, and no part number is used in the fiche so i can't do a reverse lookup. i think im stuck with finding hose that will fit, or buying some off a 750 and resizing the holes in the airbox, and hope i don't have to rejet

Comment

Try shspowersports.com they have alot of parts.

Comment

I could only find the part number for the whole assembly.Found it on Alpha Sports. I did cross reference, but only came up with same year different model bikes.

13700-47020
            Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time1983 GS 750
            https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4256/3...8bf549ee_t.jpghttps://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4196/3...cab9f62d_t.jpg

Comment

i remember reading a post about wintermint oil and some other stuff mixed in and letting the boots soak in that for a while. softened up the boots enough to make them work again.

here is a starting point
              Last edited by first timer; 02-21-2012, 04:07 PM.
              78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
              82 Kat 1000 Project
              05 CRF450x
              10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

they guys over at dotheton forums also say they have had good luck using caster oil to soak them in too.

just something ive read

Comment

sorry it took so long to et back to this, i've been working 6 12 hour days a week for way too long now! since my free time is so limited i jsut decided to buy a new air box from a salvage yard. so unfortunately i did not get to test any of the aformentioned techniques and instead took the easy way out

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggystyle View Post
                    i've been working 6 12 hour days a week for way too long now!
                    Good for you!
                    sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

In the past I have used brake fluid to soften up hard rubber boots. It worked very well and did not damage the rubber.

Comment

Working...
                      X