Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First post! 78 GS750 - Some questions about carbs and the airbox.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks guys. Is the impact driver completely necessary? I don't have one, do you think lots of PB blaster and time might do the trick? Anyone try removing the 16MM without it?

Comment

YES!!!!!! Impact drivers will save your bacon in many situations until you can swap over to allen or hex heads.
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by providedrailroad View Post
        Thanks guys. Is the impact driver completely necessary? I don't have one, do you think lots of PB blaster and time might do the trick? Anyone try removing the 16MM without it?
        You don't need an electric impact, just the Manual-impact.
        They sell them at Lowes,Depot and other tool stores, costs maybe $14?
        Electric impacts and air impacts are nice, if you have the money, but Im not sure of your budget.

Typically the Carb Rail screws will be the most stubborn.
        The impact tool will save you TONS of time...and stripped screws.

Comment

Hey guys - little update. I'm sure this is nowhere near as fast as a lot of you folks, but I'm a very busy man.

Went to the True Value here this morning before work - bought weatherstripping for the intake, and got a can of carb cleaner (30 bucks?!! probably worth it!). I also signed up for a True Value membership or whatever where they track your purchases and give you coupons. I got 5 dollars off my next purchase for signing up, so when I go back for the impact driver it will be 5 bucks. score!

I also ordered new carb o rings, intake o rings, and screws tonight. Hopefully sometime this weekend I can at the very least get the airbox sealed up, hopefully the carbs off and soaking too. I have to do a piece of artwork for a flier for a show in Portland OR over the weekend though. Between my real job and my hobbies I feel like I have 3 jobs sometimes ha ha ha.

Comment

by the way - I'll post some pictures of the actual bike whenever I get some other stuff in... It came with the huge Vetter fairing, highway bars, bars on the rear fender with a sissy bar and trunk... took all that cheesy crap off and waiting on new superbike bars, grips, mirrors, and headlamp.

Comment

Working...
            X