Fuel petcock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel petcock

Crap crap and crap....I final found a new type petcock to replace that vacuum piece of crap we have on our 80-81 GS750s and 1100. Totally does away with the vacuum connect and it fits in that very tight area above the air box and tank. It has the manual switch for gravity flow, in fact they give you a vacuum cap for the #2 carb to plug it off. NOW I cant find it again uuuggghhh. Its not on Ebay and I been going through all my bike websites trying to find it again. Oh yeah it runs about $74 and comes in the 50mm fitting! HELP! has anyone else come across this new petcock???
    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Could be helpful to have a picture.
    sigpic
    Steve
    "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Are you refering to Pingel?

We Pass more Gas! Pingel Enterprise has long been known for our fuel valves, also known as petcocks. This product is one of the first motorycle parts from Pingel manufacturing. Our valves set the standard for quality and high flow with substantially higher fuel flow than any other fuel valve made for motorcycles.
      '85 GS550L - SOLD
      '85 GS550E - SOLD
      '82 GS650GL - SOLD
      '81 GS750L - SOLD
      '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
      '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
      '82 GS1100G - SOLD
      '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

No, pretty sure if it wasn't Pingel. I looked over their stuff and its nothing like they have. If had a pic then I would know what I was looking for no? I just came across by accident. This one I found is made to replace the vacuum piece, the only difference it had was the switch taking the place of the vacuum part and a tube to plug off the vacuum tube on the #2 carb. It had the right bolt hole spacing 50mm though where the gas tube went into the tank you had to file or grind off 1/16 on either side for it to fit. UGH can't believe I didn't bookmark that *itch. This little sucker would cure all our woes with this vacuum headache.
        2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Z1 has the adapter plates and gravity feed units available. Not sure if this is the site you are looking for but good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
            No, pretty sure if it wasn't Pingel. I looked over their stuff and its nothing like they have. If had a pic then I would know what I was looking for no? I just came across by accident. This one I found is made to replace the vacuum piece, the only difference it had was the switch taking the place of the vacuum part and a tube to plug off the vacuum tube on the #2 carb. It had the right bolt hole spacing 50mm though where the gas tube went into the tank you had to file or grind off 1/16 on either side for it to fit. UGH can't believe I didn't bookmark that *itch. This little sucker would cure all our woes with this vacuum headache.
            I've seen it also, it is from a vendor that we frequent, but I can't remember who either, I'll look through my browser history and see if anything jogs my memory, but the same as you said, fits our bikes minus the vacuum port.

Comment

Thanks guys, can't believe I found that and didn't book mark it at the time. Dang farts are starting to miss with my rebuild lol.
              2015 CAN AM RTS

Comment

Woohooo I found it. Motorcyclecarbs.com. That is where I found the manual petcock replacement kit for the crappy vacuum ones. Gotta jump through some hoops to get to the right page though.
                2015 CAN AM RTS

Comment

I would think twice about dealing with them.

De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

I have never noticed that the vacuum is a problem with any of the petcocks, it's that petcock that came on some of the '80 bikes.

Except for the fact that there is no REServe function and it takes a screwdriver to switch it to PRIme, there's not much wrong with it.

Thanks goodness both of our '80 bikes are shafties and have real petcocks WITH LEVERS.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I've had nothing but problems with the ones on my bike. Just a crappy design or something. I have 4 in my parts box now and even a couple rebuild kits I've tried. This should fix the whole deal now. No more gas starvation with a semi behind me.

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                      I have never noticed that the vacuum is a problem with any of the petcocks, it's that petcock that came on some of the '80 bikes.

Except for the fact that there is no REServe function and it takes a screwdriver to switch it to PRIme, there's not much wrong with it.

Thanks goodness both of our '80 bikes are shafties and have real petcocks WITH LEVERS.

2015 CAN AM RTS

Comment

Before you consider buying from them with all their bad reviews, you may want to consider what I've been suggesting, and I got both parts in 2 days and didn't cost anymore than the original would have. Also, if I'm not smart enough or too lazy to turn it to the off position, then I deserve a full case full of fuel, the oem is a smart design when funtioning, but I don't like relying on someone else's technology to protect me from myself nor have the possible
                        o-ring failures (which this has none) or the vacuum restrictions, and they do occur, if you've ever looked at the vacuum restricter in the petcock, they can and do get clogged, very small holes I'm assuming to aid in increased vacuum to overcome the spring tension. I know, famous last words when my case fills with fuel, but I prefer the outcome in my hands.
                        From Z1 and ebay Adapter and petcock

Comment

I dont mean to kinda thread jack here, but im having issues getting my gas tank off. I can't seem to find how to turn my petcock off. I have a '85 700e. It has a res, on, and pri but no off. I've looked at the back of it for a screw to turn it off and there's nothing. I really would like to clean my carbs so i can get riding in this beautiful weather. I've heard that cuz mines a vacuum or something , that gas wont flow in the on position and i tried taking it off and all that happened is it ****ed $5 gas all over the floor. Help please

Comment

You don't need to turn it off as it needs vacuum to operate if working correctly. If it was on and spilled like that, then just put a gas can up close to the tank, take the hose off from the carbs and put directly over the can.
                            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Thanks. Me and my friend just ended up pulling the hose and quickly putting a cap on it.

Comment

Working...
                              X