Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

air hoses for GS750 with VM26ss to take GS850 airbox??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

air hoses for GS750 with VM26ss to take GS850 airbox??

Gday all, just wondering if anyone knows of a solution here.

after searching and searching to find myself a GS750 airbox I was at a parts swapmeet and a mate pointed out an airbox from a GS850G and I bought it for $10 in the hope of fitting it up to my GS750B.

The rubber boots are larger as it had CV's fitted, mine has the VM26SS.

On my bike the carby end is 43mmID and on the airbox I got given the hole is 52mm id.

The boots on the box I was given are all hacked (the velocity end is cut off)

I have searched and searched everywhere in the hope that I can find myself some rubbers to fit it up but I just can not find anything with dimensions, so I really need to turn to those who may have previously done this.
    Last edited by GS750; 02-27-2012, 02:25 AM. Reason: change description
    Regards,
    Andy
    Queensland Australia

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o...h_PIC00011.jpg
    GS750B (1977)
    Wiseco 850 kit, K&N pods, 4-1 transac, Custom 2 pak paint, IKON shocks, Custom L.E.D light boards (turn + stop/tail + dash)

anyone?????
    Regards,
    Andy
    Queensland Australia

GS750B (1977)
    Wiseco 850 kit, K&N pods, 4-1 transac, Custom 2 pak paint, IKON shocks, Custom L.E.D light boards (turn + stop/tail + dash)

Comment

CAn you use sheet metal to make the holes smaller?
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Is it really that hard to find an airbox to fit? but tkent02 does have a simple solution. You should be able to make that work without too much trouble.
        Rob
        1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
        Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Just out of interest why are you giving up the pods?

And personally I'd probably spend $50 on ebay to get the correct airbox from the states (provided you can get decent postage). Reckon you could then sell the K&N's to cover costs.
          1979 GS750E

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
            CAn you use sheet metal to make the holes smaller?
            Good idea, I might just give that a go wonder if sheeting the inside or outside would be better though??

Originally posted by azr View Post
            Is it really that hard to find an airbox to fit? but tkent02 does have a simple solution. You should be able to make that work without too much trouble.
            Yeah it is virtually impossible here in Australia, I have called loads of wreckers all over the country, they just simply dont exist

Originally posted by Coady View Post
            Just out of interest why are you giving up the pods?

And personally I'd probably spend $50 on ebay to get the correct airbox from the states (provided you can get decent postage). Reckon you could then sell the K&N's to cover costs.
            Yeah Coady, I looked into the rare one I do see on the bay, problem is that most wont send em here, and if they will they are usually just the box, no rubbers, and often no end covers either. Maybe I am just not looking in the right place?? I even logged onto the US version ebay and what I found was not worth the $$, let alone the $30+ in freight! For THAT kind of $$ I would just make my own from scratch!
            Regards,
            Andy
            Queensland Australia

GS750B (1977)

Comment

Originally posted by GS750 View Post
              Yeah Coady, I looked into the rare one I do see on the bay, problem is that most wont send em here, and if they will they are usually just the box, no rubbers, and often no end covers either. Maybe I am just not looking in the right place?? I even logged onto the US version ebay and what I found was not worth the $$, let alone the $30+ in freight! For THAT kind of $$ I would just make my own from scratch!
              Fair enough. So what's up with the pods? Too hard to dial in? I've been tempted to go with them myself to see if I can get a bit more kick but I've got things running pretty well with the airbox.
              1979 GS750E

Comment

well I have had 3 types of K&N pod's on 3 different 4 cyl bikes now.

Each of them were a **** to tune, each of them ran like pigs when in wet weather (due to the outer cyls getting water mist on them and basically restricting the airflow, therefore creating a rich or "choke" situation.

They are just **** if you ride in all weather. I find that if the bike sits in the sun all day (which mine does from time to time) then you need to clean and re-oil the outer filter/s more often.

I would just much rather go back to an airbox because it is simpler, less hassle, and easier to tune.

Of course it is just my opinion, nothing scientific to back my findings, but I do know that with the other 2 bikes I bought that had pods, as soon as I changed back to the original airbox with single K&N filter both were soooo much easier to tune and ran much nicer!
                Regards,
                Andy
                Queensland Australia

GS750B (1977)

Comment

Originally posted by GS750 View Post
                  well I have had 3 types of K&N pod's on 3 different 4 cyl bikes now.

Each of them were a **** to tune, each of them ran like pigs when in wet weather (due to the outer cyls getting water mist on them and basically restricting the airflow, therefore creating a rich or "choke" situation.

They are just **** if you ride in all weather. I find that if the bike sits in the sun all day (which mine does from time to time) then you need to clean and re-oil the outer filter/s more often.

I would just much rather go back to an airbox because it is simpler, less hassle, and easier to tune.

Of course it is just my opinion, nothing scientific to back my findings, but I do know that with the other 2 bikes I bought that had pods, as soon as I changed back to the original airbox with single K&N filter both were soooo much easier to tune and ran much nicer!
                  Sounds like very good reasons to me. I ride in all weather as well so guess I'll stick to the airbox.
                  1979 GS750E

Comment

Originally posted by Coady View Post
                    Sounds like very good reasons to me. I ride in all weather as well so guess I'll stick to the airbox.
                    yep! around 30 years working on bikes and I found that most of them with an airbox have been so much easier to tune than those with pods. Even a few racers I know have gone back from pods to airbox, weather it was a stock airbox or custom fabbed.

It is also so much more difficult to actually tune an engine properly when it has 4 seperate air intakes because you only need a slight variation on a few of them to make a big difference to the engine's power.

If you have one inlet it usually provides for more stable conditions to all cylinders due to the fact that the single air source varies less (if that makes sense)
                    Regards,
                    Andy
                    Queensland Australia

GS750B (1977)

Comment

Pretty certain that I have at least two air boxes for that bike with those carbs.
                      PM if you want pic's.

Daniel

Comment

Working...
                      X