Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No O-rings for Carb-to-Head boots?

1977 GS750 (11578) Manuf'd in Aug of 76

So Im finding out there are subtle differences in a lot of the 77-79 750's recently. So thats why Im asking this question. I pulled off the boots on the cylinder head that the carbs attach to to replace the o-rings. But there dont seem to be any o-rings. Is this legit or am I missing something?

I didnt dig too hard into the boot to try to "find" an o-ring, but unless that sucker has become one with the boot, I can't see an o-ring. But on the fiche on the boulevard website, it shows only one PN for the boot and o-rings that go with them....

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Guest; 02-26-2012, 01:20 PM.

You've got it right, it's totally flattened

Take a pick or knife and dig it out
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Yup, as Big T says, it's there - just completely flattened & hard as a rock...
      '85 GS550L - SOLD
      '85 GS550E - SOLD
      '82 GS650GL - SOLD
      '81 GS750L - SOLD
      '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
      '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
      '82 GS1100G - SOLD
      '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Thanks guys! I didnt want to start digging too hard into it.

Real quick, can you tell me what model 750 I have with the frame number listed above?

Comment

I believe the very early 750's didn't have O-rings. By all means, pick around at those boots but don't dig too hard. On second thought, dig away and then throw them away and get new! They are sure to be hard as a rock.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I can't, post a pic of the bike...
            '85 GS550L - SOLD
            '85 GS550E - SOLD
            '82 GS650GL - SOLD
            '81 GS750L - SOLD
            '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

Only pic I have of it in one piece after I brought it home:

So I guess Ill be digging into the boots and ordering new ones....freakin another C-note out the door....

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                I believe the very early 750's didn't have O-rings. By all means, pick around at those boots but don't dig too hard. On second thought, dig away and then throw them away and get new! They are sure to be hard as a rock.
                Hey Ed,

I think the ones without the o-rings have the inlet ports cast into the heads, and attach to the carbs with "boots" that attach with clamps on both the head & carb side...

If you have the inlet boots with the flange that bolts to the head, then I'm pretty sure you have the o-ring - seems like you can see that flattened little sucker in the pics.
                '85 GS550L - SOLD
                '85 GS550E - SOLD
                '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                '81 GS750L - SOLD
                '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by EdgeGrip View Post
                  Only pic I have of it in one piece after I brought it home:

Nice looking bike... I believe that's an "L" model (crusier), 8 valve engine with VM carbs, points ignition, sporting aftermarket mufflers.

What's that puppy behind her??
                  '85 GS550L - SOLD
                  '85 GS550E - SOLD
                  '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                  '81 GS750L - SOLD
                  '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

Well it has a Dyna S ignition under the right cover. But the coils (?) under the gas tank have the plug wires running directly out of them....it seems that if you had to replace a wire, you would have to replace the whole assembly. Does that sound correct?

I'm ditching all the cruiser stuff, got some stock pipes for it, gonna get a new seat, etc.

Bike in the back is a K6 GSXR 600. My race bike. second pic was at a track day but I got my race license not long after.

Comment

Like Todd said, your photo shows the ring. Its flattened.

Look at No. 17 here. On line parts Fitch are your friend.

cycleorings.com has them cheap. Order them when you but the carb o ring set.
                      sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

I looked at the parts fiche on alpha and on boulevard. I realize they are in the pics. I went out today and tried to dig them out.....there were no o-rings. I ended up just destroying the boots. It was just a solid piece of rubber with a "lip". I already ordered the o-rings from cycleorings in preparation for this job but I must have a unicorn of a bike cuz it didn't have o-rings. So boots are next on the list.
                        Last edited by Guest; 02-26-2012, 01:20 PM.

Comment

Not an L. Thats a B. but the seat isnt stock/correct. Nor are the pipes.

Comment

I looked up L's also. Seems they had a metal rear fender, smaller gas tank, and cast wheels. Someone just "cruised" this thing....that's all about to change. Btw, how can you tell it's a B? Is there a resource for that info? I searched here but didn't come up with much. I googled it but I also couldn't find a whole lot about the differences in models.

Comment

Those are the inlet rubbers from the first bikes made back in 76 and they don't have O rings as Ed says. Either seal with a paper gasket 'soaked' in blue Hylomar or toss and replace with the rubbers from a 77 onwards bike. Chances are that rubber is rock hard by now anyway so I would toss 'em.
                              79 GS1000S
                              79 GS1000S (another one)
                              80 GSX750
                              80 GS550
                              80 CB650 cafe racer
                              75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                              75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Working...
                              X